Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:03 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Thumbs up Fuel overflow

Fuel is coming out of the air intake valve on the carb what could it be? Could it be that the float is pushing the fuel past the floats level and the fuel is looking for any opening to go thru.thanks any help would be appreciated stanley8120
Old 08-31-2015, 03:24 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Fuel overflow

Hey Stan, yep, it's most likely the float level or a piece of crud is holding open the float bowl valve.

here's a link to a decent tutorial on the stock nt carb, which I'm assuming you've got. It's from a different site so don't tell anyone I sent you the link.
Just a chimp with a gun and an idea we should be free to ride our machines without gettin hassled by the Man.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:05 AM

I agree, it's most likely some crud in the needle valve holding it slightly open, but even if these are perfectly clean it is possible that the fuel can still seep passed the valve when not in use. You'll need to get used to turning the gas off whenever you shut the engine off, and especially if the bike is to be parked for more than just a few minutes. I remember when I first built one of these I went out for a ride then returned home, put the bike up for the night, and wanting to go for a ride the next day I went out to the garage and smelled the gas right away, walked over to the bike and found a puddle under the bike from where it was seeping out overnight.
I took the carb off and checked it but it was clean inside, put it back together and noticed that after riding it if I left the petcock open it would slowly start to seep until it started dripping out the carb inlet after about 5 minutes or so, no big deal and it doesn't hurt the engine while running or flood out when idling, it just means the petcock needs to be shut off when not in use.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:20 AM

Had a customer yesterday, his float sank - it was full of fuel.
Sometimes I sets and thinks, sometimes I jes sets.