Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:05 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: HELP: Stripped screws and seized engine

Originally Posted by 2door View Post
Who builds a bike without a tensioner? Many of us do. If the frame allows it and you have a method of maintaining drive chain tension, like horizontal drop outs or engine shimming, there is no reason to run a chain tensioner.

There are pages and pages of discussion here regarding the pros and cons of that infamous device, especially the kit supplied item. There have been some very innovative methods used to keep the chain tight as opposed to that poorly designed clamp on thing that has caused so many problems.

Well said Tom. I currently run without a tensioner and did so on the last meet I attended. The chain is properly adjusted using the rim on the dropouts. Heck I just see it as another thing to go wrong. Lost a rim to the tensioner previously and it's also extra unneeded friction. But if you have to have it due to clearance issues it's better than grinding away at your frame or even your tires.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: HELP: Stripped screws and seized engine

I've had zero problem with the tensioner which is a higher end non-sprung type and not the kit provided one which is arguably a POS as are most of the kit supplied components and among several of the kit items one should simply discard and upgrade from the get go. I have had issues keeping the crappy engine running. I think if you were to look at numbers more of these fail than last. Again and I'll try to keep this simple for you 2 strokes made in Asia are cheaply made and highly inefficient by the very nature of their design. It is of little surprise that they are well on their way to being banned. I only wish there was a 4 stroke alternative that had the same dimensions.