Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default 50cc GY6 on a Bicycle??

Hey all, so I am planning on building a motorized bicycle and here in Florida I have to register the thing as a moped anyway so I was thinking, why not go with a 50cc GY6 from ebay and have a real truly clutch-less transmission and the ability to ride the thing completely without peddling if I wanted???

You can get a complete GY6 on ebay for $400 and that includes the engine (and CVT trans) the carb the CDI box and a coil.

I know there will be custom fab work involved but I have a welder and am a very skilled fabricator so that side wont be an issue.

Considering the GY6 is an engine and self contained CVT trans I am surprised more people have not used one in an motorized bicycle application......

Any way let me know what you guys think.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: 50cc GY6 on a Bicycle??

It's all doable if you can weld and either make a custom frame to fit the engine/trans or cut out the lower frame and make up your own mounting setup. The GY6 engine would make for an interesting build tho since there's a lot of upgrades for that engine and CVT.

If you plan on using the standard 26" wheels you may need to make up some type of jackshaft since the rear of the CVT is setup to connect straight to the rear wheel and I don't know how much clearance you will have, but if you got welding and fabrication skills you should be able to get past that hurdle too.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Staff

Howdy TS, welcome to the forum.

I'm also am surprised more folks don't use them. Aftermarket parts are all over the place and some cool upgrades. I have asked why more folks don't build with em.

Did a search and found this; http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner...GY6&gsc.page=1

Picture from this thread;

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=578480

Really looking forward to seeing what you do. Post lots of pics.

I am most curious about the sprocket mount and ratio your gonna use.

I was thinking to make up for the larger rear wheel, use a larger driven in the transmission and a longer belt. I was gonna aim for a mid range of 12:1.....

Now I wanna buy one just to experiment, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

Last edited by Dan; 12-27-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:59 PM

Ive got a 150cc GY6 chinese clone on a Roketa china scooter, Ive thought about a stretched out bike build with one myself but dont know if I'll ever do it or not, the 150's with some mods like mine have a lot of torque and my scooter will cruise @ 63-64 mph on the flat without anyone head wind, for a 200+lb scooter pulling a 215lb man than just aint really that bad for a cvt drive 13" rear wheel.

Id think a 50cc like was mentioned would be a better engine for a bike build and then maybe mod it with one of the inexpensive 80cc kits for an excellent powerplant, all the GY6 engines ive been around are gas sippers also, I have got around 80+ mpg on my scooter if I dont run it down the road at 6500-7000rpms to much.

map
Old 12-27-2014, 04:25 PM

I also have a modded 150 GY6 in a Ruckus clone. They are excellent engines, there are a ton of mod parts for them and they are cheap. Being in the flats I exchanged final drive gears for a much taller ratio. It will top just over 70 but it has a much more relaxed cruise at the 55/60 where I like to ride. It would be an interesting build around a bicycle. Would certainly require some wheel/tire/brake upgrades. Cool thing is these power units are super reliable even modded, and the CVT is highly tunable.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:37 PM
Staff

I had no idea they were so tunable. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...0a%20cy6%20cvt

Gosta get me one, now

Last edited by Dan; 12-27-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Staff

And, just dawned on me, would give you a real engine brake.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I had no idea they were so tunable. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...0a%20cy6%20cvt

Gosta get me one, now
I know what you mean... I found a lot of pages with all kinds of upgrades for the GY6 as well as tons of stuff on ebay when I was looking for upgrades for the China Doll engines like bigger carbs or even a jug swap, but if one has a GY6 all these are bolt on and go... Makes me wanna build one too...
Old 12-30-2014, 07:55 AM

Heres a couple of pics of my scoot. Chose the Ruckus style as the engine is instantly accessible. Paid $699(plus shipping of course) and probably spent more than that in mods. You can forget the iffy experiences with the CG engines with the GY6. This is of course a Honda designed unit and I understand in the latter years of usage by Honda some were made in China, so they (then) were built to Hondas standards. Still seem to be. Some times the scooter part is a bit crude in execution but the engines seem to all be of good quality. I have run the absolute crap out of this one with no issues. The engine is modded with a big bore kit, high comp big valve head, perf cam, 30mm carb with free flow intake clocked to face the front, unlimited CDI, header/free flow exhaust and a hi-torque starter to handle the increased compression. The CVT has just about as many upgrades. Swapping weights is a snap(you can even mix em) to get just the curve you want. I also upgraded the stock wheels to 3" wide version with sticky higher speed rated tires, along with the brakes. Handling is excellent for a scoot.
Acceleration is immediate and I surprise a lot of M/C riders for the fist couple of hundred feet at traffic lights.

Somebody please do a build bike around one of these!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (128.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (134.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 01-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball2 View Post
Heres a couple of pics of my scoot. Chose the Ruckus style as the engine is instantly accessible. Paid $699(plus shipping of course) and probably spent more than that in mods. You can forget the iffy experiences with the CG engines with the GY6. This is of course a Honda designed unit and I understand in the latter years of usage by Honda some were made in China, so they (then) were built to Hondas standards. Still seem to be. Some times the scooter part is a bit crude in execution but the engines seem to all be of good quality. I have run the absolute crap out of this one with no issues. The engine is modded with a big bore kit, high comp big valve head, perf cam, 30mm carb with free flow intake clocked to face the front, unlimited CDI, header/free flow exhaust and a hi-torque starter to handle the increased compression. The CVT has just about as many upgrades. Swapping weights is a snap(you can even mix em) to get just the curve you want. I also upgraded the stock wheels to 3" wide version with sticky higher speed rated tires, along with the brakes. Handling is excellent for a scoot.
Acceleration is immediate and I surprise a lot of M/C riders for the fist couple of hundred feet at traffic lights.

Somebody please do a build bike around one of these!
Nice looking scoots, mine isn't nearly as mod'd out as yours, just a better exhaust, jet size increase in stock carb, unlimited CDI, high energy coil, and some minor upgrage to the CVT which sin't any where near where it needs to be yet.

These engine are a blast to tinker with and they really run a hole in the wind for their size, some of my friends and family have been really impressed with how well this thing will get up and go for a little 150cc engine on a chinese scooter, these scooter are the best thing I've had for zipping around town on, so easy to handle and plenty of power and speed to run with traffic around town.

GY6 clones are very reliable little engines and there is almost an endless supply of upgrades internal and external for these engines.