NEWBIE on a mission

GoldenMotor.com

nitrofreak3

Dec 20, 2014
Homestead
Hi All,
names Dave, New to forum, not new too 2 cycle tuning. I own operate R&D MRD Racing performance engines. mostly build marine 25-31cc high performance model engines,

Really enjoying the bike motor project thus far.
so 29" beacher, with 44tooth and nt carb on the 66cc motor. could not leave motor alone, first thing out of box pull it down, lower intake floor, raise exhaust timming, mod transfers and eyebrow them forward. NT carb way to lean out of box, made jets on lathe, and fitted a kx60 chamber, and put stock muffler on rear, pretty quit. best pass on gps with me @ 230lbs. flat 40.6mph @ 9800 rpm.
just ordered an RT carb from Dax, may put a 39tooth sprocket runs out of gear, oh and put a cheap straight plug head on for 40.00... really helped with head temps. about 100 deg. cooler at plug.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you definitely have a handle on what you are doing :) I hope you take pictures and document your builds for the rest of us.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I have to stop what I'm doing and make myself take pictures mid way through things, it's a bit of a hassle to me just be cause I'm not used to doing that for other peeps. But I think you get used to it eventually. it's nice to have some eye candy to go with A sweet description

Commander Billypool

Nov 30, 2014
Citrus Springs Fl.
Good to hear your luck, got a project completed myself with giant exception to all I've heard so far from posts related to this 66 cc. I've got it link well enough to turn the peddles move chains and get the new engine turned over a few times. But when I stand on the bike the frame flexes enough to throw the chains off the sprockets and although it's an old frame it is a steel bike of the 1930's everything is new it may take a few days to start if not longer. I'm 210 at the scales the kit is roughly 60 pounds. I've got light 1/8'' x 1/2'' chains on it that will stay on as long as I stay off . No joking the engine is new and getting it to turn over takes all my weight and it actually twists the bicycle frame I can feel that through the handle bars which I find scarcely believable.
here's a picture of it for reference. Got a temporary side pull on it but it looks like I may need a worn out engine not a decent set brakes ..Yeah linked to 66 cc a Nexus 3 speed linked through a Sick Bike shift kit with a few meager enhancements ..Well returning to this comment the conversion kit that installs to secure a new bottom bracket is moving as I'd not known precisely what was wrong earlier. Tough luck I need to change the direction of the bearing in the assembly so the bike can be push started not peddle started which at this point is the only way it can be with the Nexus 3 speed brake hub. Well back at the edit in reviewing this as I'd nearly forgot to recall how boring it is to put up with this nonsense no less I'll continue until I can get this bike working could be much less impressive than I'd expected ..

Attachments

Last edited:

lucajo16

Dec 12, 2013
cincinnati, ohio
Welcome to the forum Nitro. on a side note commander... that much weight on a vintage frame will kill that frame in no time. The older bikes have no means to have an engine and maybe a rider of 160 or 170 on them. Adding 300 pounds of weight to that bike might snap it in half and sense its a double top tube it shouldn't buckle. Im not telling you to not ride it im just advising you to be very careful. also please add a tank built for that bike...its a very nice elgen frame....reminds me of something els as well. I gotta get my JC Higgins from my mechanic. XD

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
nitrifreak3- The blind leading the blind.
Freakin computers. I have little to no idea how to operate these things, but I have the same sizing problem as you're having. I have a mouse here, and if I click one of the buttons on it, while the cursor is over the picture in question, it gives me the option to edit. Then I crop it, often more than once, until it is accepted.
Hope this helps.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
when I stand on the bike the frame flexes enough to throw the chains off the sprockets / it actually twists the bicycle frame I can feel that through the handle bars which I find scarcely believable.
This bike is unsafe. It should not be ridden. I don't believe there is any room for dissent to this opinion.
Maybe start a thread on it? I bet you'd get a boatload of good advise. Please be careful.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
You know, Im not sure how I glossed that bit over as I read the post originally... I have to agree with Trey, I would not ride something that felt twisty :s