My little Chicken

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I had one of those onceupona. Little brother to the bikebug, kind of. I can't remember, how many CCs is that? It had the original tin can gas tank, stock. Same as a contact cement can as I recall, minus the brush. It seemed like a pretty well made little motor to me.
SB

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
I did get some better pictures today. Online it said that it clocked in at just under 1HP, and as far as ccs go, I have no idea. The bike is exactly the same as when I bought it, same tires and everything! So it literally is "barn fresh"

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I love it. Don't take this the wrong way, it's Feeble at it's finest. It must be so pleasant to amble along a quiet road.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Oh, by no means is this a powerful engine. It's more like a "I have a super loud will almost make me peddle sorta slower" feel to it. But a fun little bike to dink around with.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Looks like one of those fun projects that ya just can't modify because it would lose it's classic value type bikes... Still nice find, I'd clean it up and restore it back to it's glory days but not change anything...

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The Bikebug (Tanaka) engine was 26CCs and the Chicken Power is less than that, if I remember right around 21CCs. I have more experience with the Tanaka motors, but they are very similar and have their place in the history of motorbicycling in the U.S.A. I don't know how popular the Chicken Power was, but Sears did their own branding of of the Bikebug (calling it Free Spirit) and a lot of them were sold. I think the Chicken Power was pretty much mail order.

If you want to go fast, this isn't the way to do it other than down a steep hill. (I blew up one Bug engine that way), but one of these motors on an old skinny tire 3 speed was quite nice. No burnouts and the chances of going uphill without pedaling were slim to none, but there was something nice about pedaling up to speed and then just cruising along on a flat without having to pedal... the engine using very little fuel and making little noise. Being friction drive with the roller disengaged from the front wheel there is no resistance at all and the engine being as light as it is (either one... the bug motor or the chicken power) you hardly notice it being there. On a flat you can cruise all day long with very little pedaling ever needed. Want some exercise, disengage the engine and shut it off with the kill switch. This kind of wimpy little engine has it's place and value, I think. I still have one sitting on a shelf and some extra parts. Maybe one day I'll fix up an old 3 speed English bike like I had as a teenager. In fact I have a Robin Hood bike made in England in very nice condition. I'll set it aside as a future little project, I think.
SB