First Bike build and limited to $600 ;3

GoldenMotor.com

Jkmthor

Sep 27, 2014
South Florida
Ok so I am waiting on a check in the mail for 600. I will have another job soon so I can upgrade later if there are parts I can get away without for a while. About a week ago I had very little knowledge on these bikes and had only owned a VERY ****ty 2 stroke bike I got of craigslist. I am wanting to build a 4 stroke bike and am looking for good top end speed, no hills in my area at all. I have not decided what kit to go with, Ghost Racer 7g has my attention so far. Anyone got any tips that could help me out ?

Jkmthor

Sep 27, 2014
South Florida
I'm probably going to go with the 350dollar 4g t belt kit as it has much better reviews. Any idea what bike to go with. I'm wanting a 29er with a disk brake in the front and front shocks for around 200 maybe a little bit above 200.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
With so, so many choices, I would google or any search engine with just those words. Also check local Craigslist, yard sales and my favorite, thrift stores. Some times you get really lucky!

With used or even brand new, from a store budget bikes. Be sure to give the bike an over haul. The most important safety feature of your build is the bike it self. No fenders (unless reenforced) and good front and rear brakes. A helmet that is more motorcycle then bicycle is a must have. MC rather then bike helps cars know your going faster then a bicycle.

Jkmthor

Sep 27, 2014
South Florida
lol yes breaks are a big must, my last bike only had peddle back brakes and never again will I settle on that. I have a nice DOT approved full face helmet as I used to have a motorcycle. 79 suzuki gs850 bobber style, miss that bike so much. I was gonna just get a scooter but after having rode motorcycles it is just impossible for me to do it. I like the same feeling in turns on motorbike rather than scooters.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really is funny but there are a lot of folks here with one or no brakes.

Did ya find any bikes you like? Lots of folks down your way. Could put an "Wanted" post in the swap shop section. Just dawned on me.

Jkmthor

Sep 27, 2014
South Florida
http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Huffy-Nel-Lusso-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike-Piano-Black/33396326
As crappy of a bike it is, and I am not a fan of huffy, but I may be wrong to judge them as my old bike was a huffy and the frame snapped. I was doing wheelies because I got carried away getting to feel a clutch again after being off bikes for almost a year, so that probably weakened it, but it broke when the chain jumped off the gear while I was going 35mph. I did not get hurt, but that bike never road again with a motor, I still have the bike and use it to listen to music while stoned riding around my city lol I will probably go with the Huffy in that link as I tested the breaks in walmart and think they will do until I can afford to upgrade. I plan on replacing the front forks with mountain bike shocks as I did that with my last bike and man it is so worth it if you are riding on side walks or any bumpy areas. I plan on putting a disk break on when I do that as well. That is not included in my 600 budget though as it will come in later after the build, which BTW this build should start in about a week from now when I order the parts. Let me know what your thoughts are on this plan ;)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I would not choose that bike, personally. Only a coaster (pedal backwards) brake and no front. It is smaller then 29". A good "cruiser" and inexpensive option, well one of my favorites is the point beech. First link. Front & rear brakes. Some folks advise against side pull brakes but I have not had a problem with them. Also, it has 7 gears. Really helps with take oofs/off the line, hills and with keeping up with traffic when needed. But is also on the small side and difficult to center the rear sprocket.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Point-Beach-26-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike-Red-and-White/34931891

This is the only cruiser I found there that is 29" but know nothing about em; http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Schwinn-Midway-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike-Dark-Blue/37370370

This would also be a choice in that size and has front suspension.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Genesis-GS29-Men-s-Mountain-Bike-Black-Green/36877070

Your choice of bike is hugely important to enjoying and being happy with your build and safety, of course.

Not sure about that kit. Have you tried the adds on either side?

Jkmthor

Sep 27, 2014
South Florida
Actually that 29" might work perfect. I'm just starting the notice the engine kits with shipping are pretty high up there so I'm going to settle for the 7g ghost racer and risk having the bend the peddle arms myself. I have read from a lot of people that the kit does not extend them far enough to clear the engine.