Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Use current bicycle gears??

I'm not recommending these outlets, dunno beans about 'em other'n they had the handy info to link - as always, shop around

Flip-flop Hubs

Flip-flop, or double-sided hubs are threaded on both sides. Usually one side has a track-type threading, (with lockring) and the opposite side is threaded for a single-speed standard freewheel.

The usual way to use a flip-flop hub is to have a fixed gear on one side, and a single-speed freewheel on the opposite side. The freewheel sprocket would normally be larger than the fixed sprocket, providing a lower gear.

Cyclists would use the fixed-gear side for most pavement riding, and save the freewheel for off-road use, or for getting home when they tired. Having the freewheel larger than the fixed sprocket gives cyclists a lower gear when they are using the freewheel. This makes it easier to climb. Since riders can coast when they are using the freewheel, the lower gear is no disadvantage on the descents.

Single-speed freewheels are commonly used on BMX bicycles, most shops that deal in BMX parts will stock them. The common size used for BMX is 16 tooth, but 17, 18, 20 and 22 tooth freewheels are available.

Note, there are two types of hubs called "flip-flop":

Fixed/free, this is the type we speak of above, with a "track" side and a freewheel side.

BMX type...BMX flip-flop hubs have two different freewheel threads, a standard one on one side, and a special smaller-diameter freewheel thread on the other, designed to work with special small freewheels (14, 15 teeth.) These are now quite rare, but if one is calling around looking for "flip-flop" hubs, make sure to get the right kind.
& if you'd like a reversed freewheel w/that;
Old 08-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: Use current bicycle gears??

Thank you for your help, everybody. I've been doing a lot of reading up on the subject, as someone suggested. Another question I have is: how would I go about mounting the larger sprocket on the cranks? And, what size sprocket would you recommend? I'm leaning toward a 50 tooth with a 12 tooth on the clutch, because I have a lot of hills where I live. What are your thoughts?