Another Build from an abandon in the park bike

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
cvlt1Egor, Looks Real Good, Are They Longer Than The Jj And The Schwinn Occ Choppers? You Will Do It Proper. Looking Forward To The Build. Ron .,

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Hi Ron, those are 26" wheels so you can get an Idea of the size of the bike. The fella that went over to the bike store to get the bike wanted a Schwinn, he got there 20" stretch it is too low for me, has the fat rear wheel, that looks good, but not the low. The engine mounts are going to be a bother, I will need to weld on the frame so I will mess up the paint, Ill do it over. needs a top engine mount also. Have fun, Dave

PS:The shop for the bike was xyzbike.com I think a good deal!

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Well I got the engine apart that was leaking through the crankcase. The gasket was missplaced and let the vacuum go, it was sucking air at the top under the carb. I will just seal the engine together with Permitex. I have the hardening type. I was surprised to find so much crud in this engine, there were cutting's from the manufacture and dirt. I am going to take one of the side wheels off the crank and see what it looks like inside. Should have the balancing cut outs. This is the engine I want to put in the Stretch Cruiser, it was the one I was trying out the different carbs on. Have fun, Dave

In the pic you can see the gasket holes out of alignment. and the gasket not covering the crankcase just in front.

Attachments

moyman56

Jul 15, 2009
pennsylvania
well I have another abandon bike that wants to be a MB. It wants to be a Military version. I need a few cans of Army Green paint. What do you think of using a ammo can for a fuel tank up on top. I would just make a fiberglass insert to hold the fuel. I could enter it as my winter build. I have the engine mounted already it was one I made from bits I bought off line. I already ported it and ran it on the white Pacific. I dont have any rubber for the sprocket so I will have to make some, I could order a set but this is a scrap build. Have fun, and don't leave your bike in the park or it will end up in my workshop, I cut up a few trying to make a Recumbent bike. Ill get to that later. Have fun, Dave
i did a ww2 military bike to. the best paint and the closest i can find to OD 5 or 7 is krylon camo. they just about always have it at wal-mart for 4 bucks a can.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Moyman - I need to get back to that project, I never finished it. Well I got it running and then put it aside, the place I was going to get the ammo can was out of them when I went back, so I need to go to another place I know of, but it is a ways from the house.
I got the side off the flywheel today and, you guessed it the cut out is not done well. It is sand cast Iron and the plug is getting old so the fit is poor and has shifted. I took it over to my drill press and put a broken drill I made into a cutter and cleaned it up, but I cant do anything about the shift. Ill try and get a pic up to see. I wont be able to use just sealer on the cases, without the gasket it holds the crank bearings so tight it wont move. I will get the other wheel off the crank and see what it looks like, there is no consistency from one side to the other. Have fun, Dave

PS: The wheel is inside the case to show how close it is, you can see the shift to the right. And the crank do you think the holes for the screw's look to one side?

Attachments

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Got another bike the other day, this one was on the bottom of the ocean. LOL. Not in good condition but it has a few parts that still are good. Someone threw it in the bay, and we were told to go get it out, the wheel was showing at low tide. Too bad the wheels were ruined they had the heaviest spokes I have ever seen, rusted pretty bad. Oh well forks were bent, I think that is why it was thrown in. It was a girls maybe it was a big girl, it was out quite a way over the rocks. Have fun, Dave

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Well I put the crank from the engine that was leaking air into the crankcase up on centers today, Wow is this thing out of round. The extra weights that are bolted on come up .037" out. Without the weights on the crank itself it .013" out, but one thing that is a problem is that the extra weights are machined so that there is about .40 thou of clearance, so that you can move the weight around. How in the world am I going to get it to run true! Another thing is that the cut outs in the back of the weights are not even so that it will be off to one side if I were to run it this way, I have been running the mill on that to get it in shape. I am convinced that the best crank are the one piece ones. I got my first engine from Kings and it has a one piece crank, vibrates too much but at least it could be balanced. Ill keep you posted as to what I come up with, but this thing is a mess. I wonder what crank the Spooky engines have? Have fun, Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

scott83

Oct 23, 2009
Indiana
Hello nice pics of youre truing/balancing setup...One piece cranks on these..I didnt think they exsisted....so they must have had real rods with bearing caps as well ....that sure would make things easier.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Hi Scott - I need to be more clear, I meant the wheels on each side are one piece, they are still pressed together. I have not idea what I am going to do with this thing now. It needs to be trued up but that would almost be impossible at this point. I can't think of a way to install the extra weights and get them centered. I could put it together and run it on the laith but that would still leave the gaps and through it out of balance. They were made so the center that rides on the outside of the fixed wheels is loose so as you install them there is no way to get them centered. I want to see if the Spooky engines have the 3 piece cranks, in lieu of the 5 piece. I have an old engine from the old Kings in Florida but I don't see him any more. Have fun, Dave