Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: muffler gasket blowout

I spent an hour or so with a fine flat file, flattening the mating surface of the 'exhaust manifold'. I had to remove quite a bit of material to get the entire surface the way it needed to be. I used an aluminum gasket and haven't had to re-tighten the exhaust at all.

Time well spent, in my opinion. Kinda gave me the delusion that I was an old world craftsman wielding a tool...........while listening to Aerosmith (I do believe at that time).
You're never lost until you run outa gas.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: muffler gasket blowout

Originally Posted by crassius View Post
I have no problems with these, and don't even bother to replace the studs with stronger ones. When an engine is new, I fire it for a few minutes on the bench, cool it down, fire it again, and so on 4 0r 5 times. During these runs, I do not use the muffler hanger, so that the muffler will shake a bit to compress the gasket nicely.

When this is done, I tighten it and then add the hanger.

Then, like with the motor mounts, I check tightness before each ride for first 40 miles or so, then deliver to customer.
That's the best way to do it when selling assembled bikes, the repeated heat cycles and re torquing will ensure the end user don't run into problems with hardware coming loose.