Brake lever as Chain tensioner or Pizza Cutter

GoldenMotor.com

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
Those Half link chains have already started to lose favor among most of the guys who originally loved them in the BMX world. They're problematic, make loud popping and cracking noises at times, and although on paper they seem oh so durable I'm here to tell you I've replaced several on bikes for guys who broke them rather suddenly and under possibly dangerous circumstances. That's all just BMX'ing too, never even seen someone use a half link chain in an allpication like this before.. Just a little perspective for you, take it and do what you like with it. Otherwise, your tensioner looked fairly ingenious, albeit in a Rube Goldberg kind of way. lol ;)

Good luck troubleshooting your problem.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
This is an old thread I never saw before, I found it interesting.

I switched to halflink chain on the input and output of the jackshaft on my 4-stroke SBP kit late last year. The chain I'm using is made by EighthInch, a company catering to fixed-gear bikes. I've found this chain to be completely awesome, especially on the troublesome portion between my 4G's output and the 17T input of the jackshaft. I need exactly 12.5 links to make this connection, and my experiences with a half-link on a full-link chain have never been pleasant. I simply despise standalone half-links because they stretch different than the rest of the chain they are on, often causing "chain dance" or oscillations. I don't like master links for the same reason. Alas with either, they are sometimes a necessity.

Anyway, my point being that from my observations, the halflink chain doesn't stretch anywhere near as much as the KMC 410H I normally use, nor does it wear quite as fast. Halflink chains play nice with smaller sprockets like those under 13T, too. My drivetrain is a lot smoother with halflink chain than with full-link considering I have an 11T and 10T in the mix.

Halflink chain can cost 2 or 3x as much as full-link tho. Might not be the greatest thing economically, as it won't last twice as long.

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
I'm sick of that left side chain. I spent a good hour and a half today trying to fix a snapped chain. (no proper chain tools) I've never been able to have a tight chain to begin with. Too short with a half link, too long with regular links, shims and what not still doesn't do much. I'm running a 510hx chain and the mushroomed pins are a ***** to take off. I'm thinking to just change out the chain every few months before it getts too loose and jams itself and breaks. Also, anyone have weird sprocket wear? Looking in, the right side on the top of the sprocket has been worn like a hook shape. Dont want to shell out the 20$ plus shipping and really shocked that that wear is happening. Post some pictures tomorrow.