Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: New here.

I do use the choke and the tickler. I put the choke lever about 3/4 of the way up, and push the tickler about 5 times I guess. The hill I live on is about 150 yards from where my apartment is to the bottom of the hill and I pedal up to speed and let go of the clutch about 8-10 times before I get to the bottom of the hill. Sometimes it doesn't even start by then and I have to go even farther down another road to get it to fire up. It doesn't seem right to me.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I think I would check your spark plug next. With the carb problems you had at first you may have fouled it.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Administrator

a new plug wire made all the difference in the world on my motorized bicycle for starting. you may want to change out the stock one if you haven't already. i was like you and had to go aways for the bicycle motor to start. now it pretty much fires up the minute i release the clutch if choke is on
Old 04-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

I still think your bicycle motor has an air leak.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:42 PM
minor bike philosopher

Im going to come down with joe. If it ran at all with that much fuel being dumped into the carb had to be mixing with a heck of a lot of air.

Air leaks makes them hard to impossible to start. At least it did mine. But the most likely spot is the manifold tube. If you sealed that and haven't removed the engine manifold bolts you should have it taken care of. It might be a spark problem, but my feeling is air leak.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:26 PM

Check your gasket (or better yet, make a new one). If you can get some "Seal-All" or RTV gasket sealer, coat a LIGHT coating on both sides of your present gasket and see what happens.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I spent about two hours tweakin the thing today. I replaced the plug with a champion L86C, I used RTV to seal the intake tube, and(what I think made the biggest difference) took the clutch plate cover off and tightened the star nut about three revolutions. It made a HUGE difference in how the thing runs. Starts right away, doesn't die when I pull the clutch lever in, and slows down when I let off the gas. When I come to a stop sign or intersection I need to stop at, I don't have to kill the engine and pedal a bunch to restart it every block I go. This thing is going to be ten times more fun to cruise around on. I appreciate everybody's tips and things to check so much. I am going too put so many more miles on this thing since it is easier and more manageable on the road. Again, Thanks.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:54 AM
minor bike philosopher

you are going to have a lot of fun and now you can help someone else who has the same kind of problems. Welcome to the world of motorbikes
Old 04-13-2008, 06:30 AM

The clutch can't determine the engines state of tune. Either you Chinese plug(s) were not very good, or you sealed an air leak when you RTV'ed the intake.

When you tighten the star nut, you essentially tighten the pressure on the clutch. This allows it to grab better, that's all.

Bottom line is you got it going.

Go ride.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Administrator

55555555555555 thats a high five. time for you to enjoy your motorized bicycle. these things are a blast