Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: New here.

Do you have an inline fuel filter between the gas tank and carb? Sorry if you've already answered this but I forget and too lazy to go back and read. If not that could be your problem, maybe a partiial blockage or some carp in you carb. Norman kept telling me to get one but I didn't think I needed it. I got to having problems with it starting and running so I put a filter in, cleaned the carb and no more problems................

Old 04-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

No I don't have one. I was planning on getting one though. I'll make sure and get it here in the next day or two.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

I bought mine at the auto parts store, but they have em at Wally world too.........................

Old 04-11-2008, 12:36 PM
minor bike philosopher

You might need to adjust that cable the other way. You might have too much slack in it now. Or the idle screw set wrong.

Remember when trouble shooting start at the last thing you did.

If that is all okay, then look for air leaks. Remember you have been running it fuel heavy now that you have that down, you might have had an air leak all along that made it balanced now it is out of balance. Look at your manifold tube as a possible source of an air leak. It is by far the most likely. With your choke set at about half it should start in just a few yards. I always stop mine when it starts then warm it up enough to turn the choke off completely before I take off the first time. After the first time it usually isn't necessary to choke it again.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Well, I think the idle might have been right or close to it. When I first went out this morning, I was able to pull in the clutch lever and it didn't die. It idled pretty low, though, so I might be able to fix it by speedin up the idle a little bit. It only did that the last time when I couldn't get it to restart. I don't know if it had anything to do with the rain or not. I don't know what to think about the starting issue though. Sometimes I have to go about 100 yards or so before it will fire up. What do I check to fix that?
Old 04-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Oh, now I get what your sayin Deacon. Disregard that last post. I'll check for leaks.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Ok, I think I'm gonna use an o-ring to seal the carb/intake tube. Does anyone know off hand what size o-ring I need?
Old 04-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

rain won't really hurt them, unless you ride in excessive amounts, then it may short the ignition.

You have an air leak, and I wouldn't keep running the bike until you fix it or you'll be looking for a new engine soon.

As for the clutch, take the cover off, remove the little screw and turn the star nut clockwise a turn and then try it agian. You may have to go a turn ot two.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I tried turning the star screw about a turn and a half. It made the clutch lever a lot easier to pull in. I haven't tried to start it up yet though. All I had to seal the airleak from the intake was RTV gasket seal so I'm waiting for it to cure. Can't ride it until 6 tomorrow night. I'll let ya know whats up. Thank uyou to every one that has been helpin me out with this thing. It probably wouldn't have lasted much longer if you guys weren't noticing that things were wrong.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:05 AM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

No prob. Let us know what you find.