Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: New here.

All right, I checked the throttle cable by the grip and I think I found the problem. On the bottom of the throttle grip there is a screw that the cable goes through. I didn't put it all the way in when I assembled the throttle. I tightened it up all the way and it put about another inch of throttle pull in the grip. I hope that is it. I'm gonna go on another test ride and will let you know what happens.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
minor bike philosopher

Well I had assembled my carb's throttle wrong. When I got it right and cut off the air leak I was good. Except by then I had screwed up the plastic throttle so I converted it to a thumb throttle using a mtb shifter. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 PM
minor bike philosopher

Oh yeah don't know if you realize you can pull the carb from the intake and see the needle move up and down as you work the throttle by looking in the intake end of the carb.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Yeah I had noticed that, but I thought I had all the slack in it that I could get. I think that the screw in thing in the bottom of the grip is the problem.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:35 PM
minor bike philosopher

Well you can see if the needle is closing all the way or hanging up somewhere if so you can figure out why. That should put you ahead of the game. If it is closing then you know that isnt it.

The idle adjustment is to stop it from closing down nothing more. If you run it out all the way the needle will just close down max then as you run it in, it forces the needle to rise from the seat. or as is usual it just wont seat completely when the idle is adjusted correctly,
Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

That was the problem. I pulled too much slack out though. Now it dies when I pull in the clutch. I'm just gonna have to tweak it to find where it won't stall and won't rev up when I pull in the clutch handle. Thank you for bringing that to my attention Deacon. If you wouldn't have said that I would not have even thought to check the cable and make sure it was adjusted right.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 PM
minor bike philosopher

ah then you are all fixed up and ready to make the little adjustment and ready to go. Good for you have fun,

Also remember you need to set your idle too. back it off 4 turns from dead tight and then adjust the cable length.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Your awesome Deacon.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Now that you've got slack in the cable, just screw your idle screw in until you have the correct idle speed.

If you push down the "tickler" on the carb for a few seconds (2-3) it should start up a lot easier. You aren't doing the engine any good if you are really cranking it for 45 seconds before it starts.

Last edited by Bikeguy Joe; 04-11-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I tried the tickler for a few seconds and it didn't start any easier. I just got done pushing the bike home because I set the idle too low and it died when I pulled in the clutch and wouldn't restart. It seems like my clutch is slipping a little. Once I have it going, the engine will rev up when I give it gas but the bike doesn't speed up. I was ridin it in the rain just a few minutes ago when I couldn't get it start back up. How bad is rain for these things? Any other ideas on how to get it to start easier?