Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Default Re: New here.

cool can't wait to here about your first ride. the fiber thing for the sprocket didnt line up for me that good either however it is pliable enough that i made it line up and seems to be fine now. you probably got the same clutch handle as me. i replaced mine with a break handle and recently got a nice one from chis hill and will post pictures soon. daughter borrowed the camera and has not returned it.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Are you saying the bolt holes in the sprocket and the other metal pieces don't line up? If it's just the holes in the rubber that are funky, go ahead and make 'em bigger.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:42 PM
minor bike philosopher

I wouldn't think the gasket is any big deal It is really there to grip the spokes to keep it from sliding around I think. You will be mashing it flat with the back plate anyway. Mostly you want the slit in the gasket to be center of one of the back plates.

Frame adapter thing, if you look around on the site there are several ideas for them. One is to use a muffler clamp to make it work. That one is my personal favorite. You would need a couple of bolts from the hardware store to use in place of the studs in the engine mounts, and of course the muffler clamp. But you could do it with an electric drill and not have to drill the frame.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

We did a good old hillbilly weldin job on the frame. Isn't very pretty yet, but I just need to do a little prep and some painting. Can't get the clutch to work right though, I can't peddle the bicycle as a normal bike.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 AM
minor bike philosopher

Mine is a bit harder to pedal as a bike all that drag from the engine turning even though it has no compression. If it isn't fully disengaging, it might just be stiff and need some work or the cable might not be short enough yet. Mine took some tinkering to get it so the short throw actually did something, then it had to loosen up a bit. Till the bike has some extra weight and the engine might not turn but the gears and chain still are some drag.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:56 AM
Administrator

you should be able to pedal with the clutch pulled in. if you got one of the cheap clutch handles the throw is not long enough in most cases. try a brake handle and see if it works then
Old 03-31-2008, 05:36 AM
minor bike philosopher

I never tried to use that chrome kit clutch lever so I had no idea it was throwing too short. yeah that would keep it from disengaging as well. The bike should roll freely when hand pushed if the clutch is right. If it doesn't you need to check it out.

It will never pedal as good as it did before you installed the engine though. At least mine doesn't on any of the bikes I've had it on. But it is doable enough to start the engine which is about all I need it for.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Got my engine kit kit put on and I am addicted. It is so fun to ride. It's not very pretty, but it's a blast to zip around on. When my camera is no longer MIA I'll get some pics and a video up. My idle adjustment screw seems to useless though. I'm over it.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Just ride it. You can tweak it along the way. Nearly all of us started riding them before we were finished. Heck, I'm still not finished with mine and I've been riding quite a while......................

Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 PM
minor bike philosopher

My idle only started working after the bike engine was broken in. That was just recently the weather here hasn't been all that good.