my engine works but little power from throttle

GoldenMotor.com

corody

Apr 27, 2014
vanvouver
my wires from the box for the spark plug are melted is that maybe why i cant get full power.

i let engine warm up ten minutes then rode one block and lost power, now it will start but not have much power or stay on, spark plug has spark cable for spark plug ok, wires for ocm box i think are melted. what do they cost.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE?

TY CORODY

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Separate and tape off the metal parts of your wires. Make sure they do NOT touch each other or the frame or any metal. This will keep them from shorting out and possibly killing your ignition coil.
If it still runs, you should be fine after fixing the wires properly.
Remember these engines take some break in time to start running good so don't expect too much for the first three or four tanks of fuel.
Keep reading here for tuning tips once you are fully broken-in and ready for more!

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Keep in mind that the motor will still make noise, even if there is no spark/fuel getting into the system. I had that the other day, forgot to turn on my fuel line.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I've been helping Corody with this problem, he's bringing it around later for me to test the mag and CDI.

The engine is turning just fine, there's fuel, so we're tracking down spark... I rode it downhill holding the plug with the motor turning and felt nothing, so it's down to not sparking.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've been helping Corody with this problem, he's bringing it around later for me to test the mag and CDI.

The engine is turning just fine, there's fuel, so we're tracking down spark... I rode it downhill holding the plug with the motor turning and felt nothing, so it's down to not sparking.
Instead of riding the bike one handed try suspending the rear wheel and spinning it with the plug out, wire connected to it and the plug grounded against the engine. The clutch will need to be engaged too.

I'm sure CT knows this but I added it for the benefit of a newbie who might read this and not understand how to check for ignition.

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks for the input, Tom. We were trying that technique however it proved a P.I.T.A. on site.

So, after tinkering for a few minutes to get my continuity tester working right (a tich of corrosion on an interior contact) I tracked the problem down to the cold solder joint from the top of the coil to the bracket. Resoldered it, connected to the CDI and success! Stalled it to death and reconnected the kill switch, finished the connections and sealed the housing up.