Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:33 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: flat tires on a motorized bicycle (do not turn tire inside out)

Thanks for the heads up.. so far I haven't had this problem, but now I know to watch for and avoid it.

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 04-26-2014, 08:55 AM

As a guy who's been on bicycle for primary transportation (by choice, mind you) since the 1980's, 150+K miles pedaled, please hear me out:

Yes, it's totally possible to mess up a tire bead. For tubeless use.
A wire tire bead is always salvageable for tubed use as long as the sidewall is intact, from my experience.

Even if a tire's bead has separated it's possible to use a tire, from my experience. Again, I speak only for mostly intact sidewalls and use with tubes (I have yet to go tubeless on bicycles). A little background: I grew up in an area of California with the dreaded goathead thorns so I'd like to think I know my way around flat tires and have ridden enough miles to have worn all kinds of tires out. I have used tires with folding/kevlar beads and true wire beads. Wire beads can be less forgiving, given the nature of wire, but turning one inside out shouldn't ruin it. Granted, it's my humble opinion that you didn't need to do that to find the offending flat-maker, but we all have our methods regarding location of such. Still, that should not have ruined the tire.

It's a good thing you saved the tire, because I think it's still usable.
Bend it to its natural shape, put it in the sun for a few hours and it should be up to the task when you fill it with a tube and inflate it again.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:00 PM

aleman i decided after your post to try again. this time four of us and what the problem was is the bead was rolled and we had to role it back which was impossible to do with just two hands because it would just role back in when you tried to work around the tire, had three of us last night and figured i would try again today with 4 of us, we had to roll the bead out with each person holding their roll out so it did not roll in again and finally got it so i could at least get it on the rim, over filled the tire and let it sit for an hour and then let the air out and inspected and all was good, i know i will never turn a tire inside out again, living on an island that most things you order from the states and the bicycle shop that is about the size of a closet is only open 4 hours on 2 days a week with very little stock we have to wait a week to get things. i will say it keeps you from giving up, just to bad i ordered another tire last night, guess i will have a spare motorized bicycle tire on hand
Old 04-26-2014, 07:05 PM

The tires on a motored bike also just seem to take more wear. It sorta makes sense. But one would think that you could ride easy and things would balance out.

But it doesn't seem to be that way.

What convinced me of this is my studded tire on front. I put a brand new one on last fall.

On my pedal bike I have a studded tire that has gone through two seasons now and the studs are maybe half worn down.

My motored bike didn't even get all that much use during this past horrible winter. Yet the studs that were brand new in December are now worn down to flat spots. It's so bad that I haven't even bothered changing to a non-studded tire yet. I've got practically the same thing right now.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:43 PM

Flats are no longer much of an issue for me since using tire liners on all of my bikes. I used to get flats every couple hundred miles whereas I have never gotten a flat on a bicycle with tire liners.

I get many odd looks when purchasing tire liners in bike shops. Typically, other customers and shop employees think I'm nuts for adding "unnecessary weight". I think they're nuts unless they don't mind changing flats on the side of the road. The obvious exception is peddle racing where you want as little weight as possible.

Honestly, I might look for very strong tires for my XR80 build. Tire liners are nice but make the tire changing process a little more challenging.