Some more old friends return.

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The Kuwahara fixie continues to ride as tight and smooth as the day I built it. The thin 700c rims and tires are holding up with little to no wear or problems. The brakes show no wear, wheel bearings still smooth and tight, even the chain is still right. The #41 industrial roller chain this bike has is totally bulletproof although it does cause a bit more drag when pedaling.
I remember being quite skeptical when this build first came in, but I must say, it is holding up better than most and was a great buy at $79 for the bike!

The other is the more ridden of the two bikes since the owner totes his young daughter around at any excuse. His son rides the fixie sometimes, but it does not see as much use as this workhorse Schwinn.
Another good running reliable stocker. The rear wheel needed bearing adjustment this time but is holding up fairly well. It is going to need tires and brake pads soon.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Nice stuff.

I'm glad to hear that the 700 wheels and tires are holding up. I've considered building one before because I'm just a bit tall for a 26 in. But I've also hesitated for fear of those narrower wheels and tires.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
700' s are great! But try to get 36 spokes at least- there's a lot of 32 spokes out there, especially in flip/flop wheels

also recommend a 1 inch or so wide rim as oppossed to 3/4" because you can't go more than 32mm wide on the narrow rims- although my 50 has had those on them for several years- the back tires wear a bit faster-

having raced on the road, I like them biut I'd recommend about 35 to 38mm wide- lightweight and fast rolling - large profile for bumps!

Just replaced a 27" back wheel on my 66 build that kept breaking spokes with a700c flip/flop hub and alloy sprocket bolted directly to the side- really lines up great and LOTS of chain stay clearance on the frame- no tensioner!

so both my builds are direct bolted on sprockets to high flange smooth sided flip/flop hubs I drilled myself in the six bolt disk brake pattern.

Disk brake rear hubs are available to, but I think they'd put the sproket out a bit more towards the frame, and I'm not sure how well they'd lock on
http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/1368/Std-Rear-Hub-FW-Disc-BLK-36/

On this last one I used titanium bolts and double nuts- the whole assembly saves all kinds of weight over a normal steel sprocket and rag joint.

with a lightweight 415 trike/industrial chain and no tensioner- it's a whole lotta weight i'm not lugging around- and the chains roll better too.

Last edited: