Los Padres National Forest

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Wow! Add a few cactus here and their and I'd swear you were at Redignton Pass. Amazing how similar the terrain kinda looks.

Very kool MT Thanks for sharing, looks like a place I would enjoy.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Before I thought to post the 1st set of pics on travels, I posted from this last trip and a prior one from a trip to Mendocino National Forest. See those at:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=543101#post543101

I had split the pulley I mounted to the rear spokes and was looking for what I had used of a steel washing machine pulley back in the 1970's, but everything is either zinc alloy casting which is what split or cast iron.

Cast iron I cannot bend the spokes of the pulley to be the cone sort of shape to match my wood sandwich mounting to the spokes of the rear wheel. The rear wheel is actually a front wheel as I do have pedals only foot pegs on the machine.

So I ordered from Whizzer Paul on Ebay to get a Whizzer type sheave which comes with the mounting kit. I'll also probably get from Amazon a front wheel that has 12 gauge spokes if as suspected thinner spokes on most 26 inch wheels are a guage 14 or higher.

There are shocks only for the front. My seat I am going to add more padding. I work my legs pretty good on the pegs.

The intermediate trail I saw on the last trip I only went a short way before turning back. I actually had to stop my truck on the way back to move a little land slide. Just one rock a bit too big to trust my oil pan would stay intact. For that rock you can see it in the attached photo.

Some rocks that would do damage but I could drive around I didn't bother to move, just you don't want the mis-judge the edge of the road and a big drop off!

The 4th photo in the center you see the road I came up a bit of a climb. Still that is probably just a quarter of the elevation I did on an outing of 3 miles out and 3 miles back.

One pic where I needed tanking up for my own calories after a good work out even without pedals!

MT

Attachments

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I finally got the cutting and welding done on my frame to accommodate the Whizzer clone sheave I replaced the split cast aluminum washing machine pulley with. This took some doing and the thing is a bit out of round, but not too bad and I put a belt on that fits good.

I noted that the washing machine pulley was a bit smaller than the Whizzer clone sheave and checked what the ratio change from being before 21:1 and now it is 28:1. I'm going to see how it is and decide if I will work with changing the two gears that connect top to bottom jack shafts in the transmission by a short section of #35 chain.

I can even go to a greater ratio for very slow moving parade use, but for off roading trails, there still is use in getting a certain amount of speed that means the mass of the bike moving can help carry it over a hill before it bogs down.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=551032#post551032

I have to put the gas tank, engine, covers etc. back on, but the hard part getting the belt to work on the new sheave is done.