help motor dying

GoldenMotor.com

bmw2002

Feb 5, 2014
SPRING HILL FLORIDA
I have been building these bikes or a little while now as a hobby, so i know a little about them. I blew a base gasket the other day and can feel the air coming out of it on of my bikes. It still runs tho, but i will be riding and full throttle then it will just sutter losing power then die. I pedal it for a few seconds pop the clutch and "WHAM O" shes up and running agian. So I started riding one of my other 4 bikes today, and it to now is doing about the same thing but agian this is only at full throttle! I compleatly cleaned the carb and put in a new plug, and cannot feel ANYYY leakage at the base nor head gasket as i can with the other bike! There is a small exhaust leak at the head that i can feel hot air coming out of but i dont think this could be the issue do you? It is as almost the bike is getting loaded up "flooded" with fuel for a second or something and then agter a few second it to will start agian! I am new to this site so if you could pm me or if ANY WAY POSSIBLE call me that would be amazingggg!!! I can use all of the help i can get at this point PLEASEEEEEE motor bike GURU ahaha!!
Thanks, Tyler in FLORIDA!!!

Well now she wont even start really ive pulled the carb off and i am getting fuel and checked my spark and have plenty and ideas??? pleaseeee help ahah!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm having a hard time getting my head around the problem. It sounds like we can imagine that it's getting spark and fuel. You can start it up and go riding down the street, right?

The problem comes up when you're riding at full throttle? Do you start losing RPMs quickly?

And can you save the situation by backing off on the throttle?

To be honest, I'm not likely to have the answer. I'm not all that knowledgeable about these engines. But maybe we can clarify the issue while we're waiting on those who do know more.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We strongly suggest you do not post personal information such as telephone numbers or email addresses on the forum. That's inviting trouble. This forum is open and available to anyone, world wide. Do you really want your home phone number listed?

As for your problem. Have you checked the fuel tank cap for proper venting. Your problem sounds like a classic case of the tank not venting and fuel starvation.
Loosen the cap and give it a try. There are several threads about this problem. Use the search feature, type in,'fuel tank venting', and read what others have done to rectify the problem.

Tom

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
I'm assuming these are 2stroke engines? They sat for more than 2 weeks? Replace the fuel filter or cleanit with a blast of carb cleaner and then the air compressor in the opposite direction of the fuel flow. Then blast the air compressor into the carb fuel inlet to get rid of that gunk too. My old bike would do this constantly, even after a week they'd be dirty. That's why I switched to 4stroke! Hope this helps.