Hydrofoiling Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Re: Hydrofoiling motorized bicycles

That is neat . I like the way it lifts the whole thing out of the water!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

I been thinking for a while about using a china girl engine with the centrifugal clutch and pull starter for a outboard engine that would push a 12 or 14ft flat bottom river boat, I think the right engineering would make for a nice little inexpensive outboard.engine for an aluminum fishing boat.

I really like that Hydrofoil rig, that would be fun.

Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Our Governor or one of his henchmen or women would tax the ---- out of that.
Move to Texas... our governor would smile and ask to ride it.....lol!

We would have to have a permit here for use on public waters also, wouldnt amount to much but still another example of the fact that we are far from living in a free country.... were better than some but freedom doesnt tax people out of business and require a permit for every freaking thing someone does in life..... ok off my soap box now.....lol!

Map
.wee.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Shan, make sure the tax stamp is upto date on that soapbox.........:D

I noticed the the engine stuggled a lot less as soon as the pontoons rose outa the water. This in itself shows that the hydro-foils are much more efficient than 'bow in water' boats.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Re: Hydrofoiling Motorized Bicycles

Shan, make sure the tax stamp is upto date on that soapbox.........:D

I noticed the the engine stuggled a lot less as soon as the pontoons rose outa the water. This in itself shows that the hydro-foils are much more efficient than 'bow in water' boats.
Lol....... im probably using an illegal soap box anyway, epa probably banned my brwnd of soap because something in it was found to cause cancer in lab animals in California so it has been regulated off the market , so im gonna bet using my soap box more than likely makes me an outlaw and a Polar bear killer....lol!

I noticed the same thing, even though the skids have to lift the weight of the craft the friction on the water is so much lower that it planes out nice once it gets its maximum lift, engine sounds like its running easy...... that would be lots of fun buzzing around in a big ole stock tank, have two or three of them out there and mark off a course will some floating markers and have a race .......

Map

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

....have two or three of them out there and mark off a course will some floating markers and have a race .......

Map
Hrmm... Sounds like fun.. So, the Motorbicycle Triathlon can now be organised.. so, swim/cycle/run gets changed up... Pontoon race across a pond, followed by a road race (got to be sure there's a couple of uphill runs included), and lastly for the 'run' segment the back wheel gets a zip tie to the frame to keep it from rolling (to simulate bringing it home with a rear flat) and the rider must cross the finish line with thier motor assisted bicycle or be disqualified...

Hey, how about we do it quarterly? Now for sites for the event... Ah, got it. I nominate Paul to host the event every January in the Virgin Islands. ;) The Pacific Northwest here is amazing from March until October, so the second (around the end of April) could be here... July-ish, well, continental North America just starts getting too hot around then, so somewhere in Europe or the UK might be good... Then maybe 'dahn undah' for the October race, Aus or NZ, should be just about springtime there then.. Perhaps we can find a field near Intrepid Wheelwoman's place to camp around then...

rhodeisland

Oct 30, 2012
Rhode Island

Move to Texas... our governor would smile and ask to ride it.....lol!

We would have to have a permit here for use on public waters also, wouldnt amount to much but still another example of the fact that we are far from living in a free country.... were better than some but freedom doesnt tax people out of business and require a permit for every freaking thing someone does in life..... ok off my soap box now.....lol!

Map
.wee.
The local Clam Cops would have everything from onboard spread on the beach with your pockets rabbit eared so everyone the goes by thinks your a common criminal. I have witness this on a number of occasions when the commander Dottie Dike with her hand on the pepper spray is directing the officers.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Lifting out of the water is the Holy Grail of hydrodynamics. Moving an object threw water is more like plowing dirt then an airplane flying. This completely amazed me! Looks like a 35cc? (And belt driven) and lifted right up and did pretty good time.

I dunno about stability, though. The rider's weight so high and zipping threw a boats wake ?

One said you inflate the pontoons with the rear wheel. So thinking it could be towed easily by putting wheels on top of the after side and flipping it over.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Question: If you got it going fast enough, would it fly?
Or, when does a hydrofoil become an airfoil (wing)?

Tom