Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default New Guy from Chicagoland

Hello all, like many others I see posting on this site, I am new to MotorBicycling and am in the process of putting together my first bike. My biggest question so far is regarding the use of the Sturmey Archer kick back 2 speed hub. I like the idea of having a couple gears and want to avoid extra cabling and such. This seemed like an easier solution, but I cannot find information on how to set it up and how to attach the sprocket. This will be a simple bike using one of the cheaply 2 strokes for the first pass. We have somewhat of a little competition going on for a bike build and we are buying motors in bulk form so we all have the same to start with.

Anyway, that's my winter project and I can use any advise out there.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: New Guy from Chicagoland

Welcome to the forum. Since the kick back 2 speed has a coaster brake, a motor sprocket should attach as it would with a single speed coaster hub.
Attaching the kit sprocket to a coaster brake hub can sometimes require some bending of the brake arm. Some coaster hubs require the dust cover be ground down a bit for a good sprocket fit.
My Shimano coaster required no mods for sprocket installation. I did have to use a couple of the flat coning wrenches.
You should be able to attach the motor sprocket to your KB hub with simple tools like a couple of crescent wrenches and a file if needed.
I visited Chicago this summer for the first time. It was Lullapaloosa (sp?) weekend so the waterfront was packed. I'd love to spend more summer vacations there.
“You're only young once, but you can be immature as long as you like" -Unknown