the blues

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang! Hope your OK, El Gallo.

Ya gotta tell the story. I am guessing some sort of motorized bicycle V. curb or really big pothole?

ElGallo

Jul 1, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Well dan nothing crazy.
The seat stay/dropout separation was welded back together. I'm guessing it happened from the tention and vibrations of the engine.
As for the bottom tube, I was riding around and felt the bike getting wobbly. I didn't think much of it, cause the back wheel occasionally goes loose. I want to order that heavy duty wheel with direct sprocket bolt-on. So I head towards the gas station and the wobble got worse. Then drop. I thought the Springer fork gave out. I look down and see that it's intact but the shop rag I had put right behind the headtube to hold the cables is stretched out. The bottom tube was barely holding on to it. If it wasn't there I would have dead sailor ed it to a face plant.
Thanks for asking Dan, and sorry it wasn't exciting. But super scary nonetheless.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I strongly suggest you do not use that frame again. Don't weld it. Don't try reinforcing it. Structural failers at critical points is telling you something.
What frame is it? Does the engine vibrate badly? Is the engine mounted solid to the frame, no rubber or resilient material between it and the frame?
Do you ride it hard? Jumping curbs or rough terrain?

Please take my advice and start looking for a better bike. That one is going to get you hurt.

Tom

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Agree. You don't want that to happen again in the middle of a busy intersection. Should be OK for non-motorized use on pavement.

ElGallo

Jul 1, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I strongly suggest you do not use that frame again. Don't weld it. Don't try reinforcing it. Structural failers at critical points is telling you something.
What frame is it? Does the engine vibrate badly? Is the engine mounted solid to the frame, no rubber or resilient material between it and the frame?
Do you ride it hard? Jumping curbs or rough terrain?

Please take my advice and start looking for a better bike. That one is going to get you hurt.

Tom
I did think about welding but like you mentioned its telling me something.
Lately I have been welding frames up, so I think I'll have a go for a motorized bicycle frame.

The broken frame was a murray monterey 70s-80s. I liked the fin dropouts. but these frames have been weak. The frist I used, I had to weld bracing bars from the fatigue it was getting. So its time to move on.

Thanks and safe riding.

Last edited by a moderator: