Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: ignorant drivers thread !!!!

Even when I'm driving my van, I get dummies turning right from the lane to my left. And turning left from a lane to my right. All under circumstances where it is neither legal or permitted for them to do so. And on the highway I'm generally going 5 to 10 over the limit, and I'm made to feel like a grandpa by the jerks who are honking behind me and flying past. They've always been out there, I think. But without an auto body to protect you, they are somewhat more dangerous to you. I have learned I should have been watching out for them ever since I learned to matter what I drive.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 01-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

This is why you need a camera installed, so when stuff like this happens......its a attempted murder charge, or atleast a sweet cha-ching moment in injury court. Get your cash extra quick with video evidence. The thing is parking lots and T-intersections is where its at, slow moving vehicles are easier then fast moving vehicles to not die from.

As for tailgaters while driving, slam on the brakes, say squirrel ran across road.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

The rule I teach is that bicyclists fare best when they act as drivers of vehicles. This means position yourself in the lane where a driver expects a vehicle to be. Be predictable. Signal EVERY move. Get in the habit of taking a quick glance backward before making a lane change, or turning. The act of taking a quick glance lets you get a quick visual of who is behind you, as well it lets that driver know that you are aware they are back there and that you might be planning a move. None of this will 100% guarantee you aren't going to have problems, but it has been proven several times over in several communities to greatly reduce the number of bicycle vs car incidents.

While on my way home from work one day last August, I was almost run off the road. The driver pulled along side me and told me to get off the road before he runs me off. I was doing between 18-20mph in a 25mph residential area. His kids were in the vehicle and he used language that would make a sailor blush. I got his plate number and called the police. They called back stating the vehicle make and color did not match at all. I went for a short ride, found the vehicle, and called the police with the new information. Thanks to Google and Facebook, I found his name and address as well.

More important than sharing the road, this guy taught his children that it is ok to talk to and treat people that way. Parents should be educating their children so we can break the cycle of self centered behavior, not perpetuate it.

I had a visit from an officer and he told me that he went and had a conversation with the driver AND his children. He told them that according to city ordinance, cyclists have the SAME rights and responsibilities as gas and diesel powered vehicles. The driver felt that my move to the left was not an indication that it was not safe to share the road, but an aggressive maneuver to hit his truck. He was 20 feet behind me when I moved left. He told the officer he was doing around 30mph and I was going too slow. The officer told him the speed limit is 25mph and it is the responsibility of the driver to know that.

In the end, that family learned a lesson. I prayed that the lesson he learned that day saved the life of another cyclist further on down the line. Even scarier is that the entire exchange happened over the distance of less than one city block at the end of which he turned left. There was literally no need for it to happen. If I was "disrupting his commute," it was for maybe 30 yards or so. He actually pulled along side me, which means he could have kept going, said nothing, and made his left turn. Instead, he chose to use his truck as a tool for intimidation and aggression. He used foul language in front of his children. Worst, he demonstrated to his children that when you are frustrated with a situation, it is OK to be outwardly aggressive, angry, and threatening to get your way.

If he was that quick to react that way towards me, how often does he react that way in those situations? How often are his kids exposed to that? What happens when his kids become driving adults? Do they mirror his behavior? What if he DID knock me off my bike? What would his kids think then? The officer that stopped by is also a school resource officer. He said the kids were reluctant to talk to him at first. He thinks they were a little scared by the whole thing. The officer also spends a little time each month as a bicycle cop as well so he was the best guy to have deal with this. I just hope and pray that the guy AND his kids think twice next time and give the cyclist the respect he/she is due.

Confronting the driver the way you did might have been a bit fruitless. I realize how stressful those situations can be, but cooler heads will always prevail. If it were me in your situation, I would have dropped back, gotten the tag number, and followed the guy to his destination. That gives you some time to cool the emotions a bit and formulate a plan. If you are going to have contact with a driver and exchange expletives, after the conversation, has anything been gained? You both are still angry. He is still of the mindset that you don't belong on the road and you are of the mindset that he is a total ******bag.

The police are there for a reason. I would call in his plate and follow him until cops show up. Even if he isn't charged, flashing police beacons in the mirror can scare quite a few folks straight.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Very well put Mr. Nuts.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:40 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

You guys make me glad I live and ride in northeastern Minnesota. If I had to contend with your situations I probably wouldn't ride much. As it is I am aware of my situation, being exposed on a motored bicycle and am always cautious. The people I encounter generally wave, smile and sometimes will pass, pull ahead and then stop to take a picture as I ride by. It helps having a cool vintage bike and a dog wearing doggles in a sidecar made from a canoe. I also run an American flag on a makeshift fishing rod flagpole which gets attention and also suggests the old fellow riding the bike might be a civil war veteran. Ha!
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...
Old 01-18-2014, 09:23 PM

I feel very privileged to live in a rural area and a small country town as by and large other road users are quite patient and courteous towards an old lady dressed in old fashioned style clothing who rides a variety of ancient bicycles. Sometimes folk will pass a little close (usually city folk who have been let out for the day) and I have even been filmed by people hanging out passenger side windows as cars pass me by.
Even though roads around town are often used by double trailer logging trucks and milk tankers I feel quite safe, though on some of the more narrow river bridges I will stop and check both ways for approaching heavy vehicles and let them cross before I carry on with my ride.

When I was still living and working in the city I used to take my bicycle with me on the suburban trains and then ride the rest of my way to my destination. There were more than a few very busy intersections where I'd become a pedestrian and wheel my bike across the road on the crossing signal; - not that that was particularly safe either as one time a car that had stopped for me was plowed into from behind at high speed by another car whose driver had failed to see the red light. Once across the road I had to stop and lean on my bike for a while until my heart rate slowed down to normal again. Fortunately nobody was hurt, though I did come close to being hit as the first car was pushed onto the crossing.

I don't think I would want to try riding a bicycle in the city again. Apart from the exhaust fumes, most roads are carrying far more traffic than they were ever intended to carry and the majority of drivers are very aggressive and drive much too fast. Back in my twenties I can remember when the city council engineers were telling the city politicians that something would need to be done with improving roads to carry an increased projected traffic loading. Their response was that traffic densities were never going to get that high, - well they didn't get that high, - they got even higher than projected.
I imagine somewhere there is an algebraic equation that traffic engineers now use that relates the brain density of politicians to shortsightedness over projected traffic densities
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy chocolate which is almost the same thing
Home of the Kotanga Tramway.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:17 AM

"....a rural area and a small country town as by and large other road users are quite patient and courteous towards an old lady dressed in old fashioned style clothing who rides a variety of ancient bicycles....." --Intrepid Wheelwoman

You're more fortunate than we are here in America. In those rural areas that I've known, anyway, traffic has increased in volume and speed to the point that bicycling has to be approached with as much caution as needed in urban areas.

I suppose I shouldn't overstate it. The area I spent my late growing up and early adulthood in, for instance, is rolling hills, woods, etc. I still visit from time to time. The 70 mph autos on those narrow little roads certainly frighten me. It didn't used to be that way.

Still, if I were there with a bicycle I'd ride. But it would be reflective vest and one of those orange flags you mount on the rear axle. At least.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:17 PM

You think you've seen / heard it all and then...

You think you had a problem driver? Try this guy. He rode to the drivers house stuck in the windshield.

I hate drunks.
The only thing in my garage with 4 wheels is the lawnmower
Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

The cyclist in this story is a friend of mine.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:56 AM
Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Angry Re: ignorant drivers thread !!!!

Here is an "ignorant drivers thread"......

Not sure if the dog was driving.....or the ignorant? Pretty much one in the same

I hate the word hate, but I truly hate idiots that can't drive in the first place. Put a dog on their lap, a phone in hand while brushing their hair and smoking a cigarette rockin' to Metallica.......oh yeah they can multitask!!!!!!!!!!

Gimme a friggin break.....
EZ Motorbike Dealer - San Diego, CA.
Nothing is out of my realm,
if it doesn't fit, make it fit! Beer is the answer....what was the question?
A sense of humor costs nothing, why don't people use them more often?
"You can't buy have to earn it"