ladies motor bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

biker

Dec 28, 2007
well about got my wife talked into letting me get a kit and now she wants one to. is it possible to put these on a ladies frame or would i be better off getting her a mens bike with a small frame. i saw jemma's bike and not to sure about a rack mount. i think that is what they call it.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
my wife dosnt know how to ride a regular bike. couldnt imagine her on motorized bicycle. would be fun to have someone to ride with though. i know mine would have to go faster then hers though.

ChrisHill

Manufacturer/Dealer
The rack / carrier mount isn't for everyone but some people do like and prefer it. Personally, I don't...I prefer to have the engine sitting low in the bike, it's easier for getting on and off, and provides better handling, or so I find, with having the weight of the engine sitting low.
The in-frame design that I sell, commonly referred to as a "happy-time" engine can not be easily (or safely) installed into a woman's style of bike frame. If you are thinking of going with this style of engine, I would recommend going with a men's frame. The smallest frame size that you can "easily" install this into would be a 19.5 inch frame. You will want front suspension on her bike (not needed but is worth it), you will want the bike to have what is referred to as a hard-tail suspension...basically, no rear suspension.

When you go bike shopping take a tape measure. Hold the end of the tape on top of the crankset...extend the measuring tape 16 inches or so up the seat tube and sweep it forward to the front downtube...if you have that much room available without hitting anything you should be okay for fitting the engine in there.

To get a good idea of how one of these will fit into a bike take a look at some of the bikes in the photo gallery on my web page. Here is a link to get you there http://www.chrishill.myknet.org/photo.htm

biker

Dec 28, 2007
Well guess what we did today. The wife and i went out looking at bicycles. Neither of us found exactly what we wanted but she is looking and excited about it so that is as good as a yes to me. I am really excited.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Personally I have always had MTB/Racer type frames and have never had the joys of a walk-through or underbone type 'womens' bike. It has never given me any problems although I am tall (5'11") so it might for someone of maybe 5'

The rack mount doesnt seem to make the bike any less stable and if it does you learn to compensate. My biggest problem with this latest bike was more the frame and the sitting position more than anything else.. that and the coaster brake system which I hadnt even heard of before this bike..

I will say that since that this is a belt drive setup its more quiet and doesnt require grotty oil all over the place... the last thing a girl needs is her jeans being chain chewed - at which point you'd likely be heading ditchwards. I do like the frame mount but unless someone comes up with a belt drive then I will not even look at them...

I would just let your wife/other half have a look at bikes in a local store and then, when she has made a choice, make sure its power suitable - most will be...

Then get the relevant kit, fit it up and get ready for years of happy buzzing.. :)

Jemma xx

Last edited:

biker

Dec 28, 2007
Thanks every one. As of right now my wife likes Jemma's bike and wants to go to the schwinn dealer which hopefully we can go to next week for it is a bit of a drive. It never even crossed my mind about he belt drive being quieter. i personally like the noise and the sound of power but my wife likes the idea of quite. hopefully I can get her to post some questions and join but she doesnt like computers lol. I guess because i am on it so much

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
The one I have is the Schwinn Deluxe 7..

Modifications include -

800cc metal luggage locker frame mounted (metal biscuit tin and ingenuity)
U type rear wheel stand
Holox GPS with Nokia E70 head unit (includes MP3 player)
110db bike alarm

The quality isnt that brilliant to be honest but its not caused me any problems and is pretty much unique in my area :)

My advice on getting a GEBE kit is work out what speed you want and get the relevant engine... mine is the 32cc 2-stroke and tops out on the flat at about 28mph - the schwinn frame is quite heavy.

You can 2WD a bike by buying two kits and mounting them front and rear although thats a little insane lol...

If you do choose the GEBE kit reinforce the spokes using cable ties at the places where the spokes cross - it will help with strength and durability..

I wish you luck getting your wife addicted to Buzzing :)

incidentally - do a search on 'nacc buzzing' you both might find it interesting re the history and lineage of these machines..

Jemma xx

biker

Dec 28, 2007
Thank you for all the information. Their seems to be a lot more to these then just mounting a motor. Another question are you using a 4 stroke Jemma and are they pretty easy to pull start. i guess the 2 strokes are all pedal to start and the 4 strokes have a string like a lawn mower. My wife is pretty small and not a lot of strength

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Mine is a 2-stroke recoil start - as regards strength I am fairly weak even for a girl so your wife should have no problem with the starter :). The only problem with the compression is that sometimes it catches short and that can hurt (at least it hurts me)

All the GEBE rackmounts use recoil start engines although you can retrofit any engine to the mount so long as it uses (in the case of my bike) a 78mm or 52mm clutch. I am toying with extending the recoil so it can be pulled from a position forward of the seat without twisting..

The clutches on the GEBE kits are centrifugal - push and go - and all have a kill switch... BE SURE if you do fit it that it isnt shorting - I had that happen once and I was trying to start the engine for so long I actually bruised my hand (a relic of when my father shut my hand in the bootlid of the old Renault we had...)

Jemma xx

biker

Dec 28, 2007
Ouch Jemma!
Thank you again everyone. She wants to go to the schwinn dealer before i head to work today. You all have been really helpful. This is exciting. We have already been looking at touring bags and stuff to dress the bicycles up when we get them.