Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Bike Choice

Hi all. I am new here and have posted in the new members and also the cruiser threads. I am finishing my first bike and have a brand new motor left over. I want to build another and see just how cheaply I can do it. Amazon has a Cranbrook delux in blue, nice looking bike. I know it would work as I see several people here use them. It is a single speed.

They also have a Pacific Shorewood for about the same money. The shorewood has 7 gears and would also come with the front brake. I have not read anything about the Pacific here. Is it any good or should I stick with the cranny. Open to other suggestions as well.

I started without the benefit of this forum and could not have finished without the advice here. So I am going to consult here Before I do anything motorized bicycle related in the future. You better get ready for lots of questions.

One more thing. Since I have the motor do you know of a "kit" with all that is needed minus the motor, or should I just try and buy piece by piece.

Thanks again, David
Old 09-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Bike Choice

To take advantage of the '7 gears', you've have to get a shift kit for the bike.....usually runs approx $200. With that being said, this will be the direction of my next build.

Cranbrooks need a little love'n to make them reliable, but I've found mine to be perfectly serviceable.

Good luck in the evolution of your motor bicycling experience!!
You're never lost until you run outa gas.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Default Re: Bike Choice

The Pacific makes a decent motorbike even without a shift kit, which I would not recommend for any new builder anyway. The gearing is still useful even pedaling and you get better brakes as well. Just do the usual chain store bike maintenance like greasing and adjusting all the bearings and true the wheels if needed (usually is...).
The geared bikes tend to be a bit better quality than the Cranbrook with better aluminum rims and three piece cranks.
Wait until you have more experience before you tackle a shift kit build.
If more is better, then too much is just enough.
If you can't afford it, build it yourself.