scratchbuilt indian head badge

GoldenMotor.com

meatgrinder

May 3, 2013
Manila, PH
Hi guys, just want to share something I've been working on. Since I'm into building me a btr indian, decided that I needed a headbadge. Since finding an indian headbadge here in philippines is almost impossible, fabricating one is my only option. So I started with these materials:

-sharp cutter / x-acto knife
-1/8 inch Sintra board
-stove / tobbacco lighter
-patience

So I started by drawing out the headbadge logo on a piece of card. Freehanding it like a boss lol

Cut out the design and treat it like a stencil cutout. Transfer the cutout 'stencil' to your sintra board

After transfering the design to your sintra board, take out you X-acto knfe / cutter and heat up the blade nice until red hot then slice out the designs to cut small details. It will slice through the sintra board like butter. After cutting the design it should look like this:

A bit of sanding and will smooth out the edges. Will apply heat again to curve the badge to the head tube then paint it. Will update you guys asap once I painted my badge.brnot any comment or suggestion is welcome. Let me know what you guys think. Happy motorbicyling!

meatgrinder

May 3, 2013
Manila, PH
Update: painted the head badge that I made using gold metallic spray paint rattle can. Top it with clear coat, gave it the shine. It's ready to be mounted!

meatgrinder

May 3, 2013
Manila, PH
Thanks oldtimer & cranbrookkid. Forgot to include that lol.The only hard part is cutting out the small details like the hole inside of each letters. A bit of surgical precision is needed to avoid cutting through the letters specially with a heated x-acto knife. :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very nice work. I had to Google 'Sintra Board' to see what the material was. Never heard of it but it certainly looks like you know how to work with it.
I would have tried using metal, maybe copper, brass or aluminum but you did a convincing job with Sintra and it was probably much easier to work with.
Thanks for sharing the idea and tutorial.

Tom

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Very nice work Mr Grinder. Been wanting to make a badge for my bike using sheet brass, and your work is inspirational.
Thanks, Dan

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That's awesome, meatgrinder. When I spent a little time in the Philippines, I was amazed at their wood carving skill. I should have spent more time learning to carve and less time drinking Red Horses.