FNG from Indy

GoldenMotor.com

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Hello, my name is Tom. As stated, I'm in Indianapolis Indiana.

My history includes lots of motorcycles
Some of my favorites.
Gt185
Kz400
Kz 650(x3)
Gs1100
Fzr400
R1

And I have owned many bicycles, bmx, cruisers, and mountain bikes.
So I really like the idea of a motorized bicycle.

I've got a Chinese Schwinn cruiser (point beach) I would like put a happy time motor on as my first project. I'm aware of the fender supports, inadequate bearing grease, and the frames susceptibility to weld fractures. I guess we will see how it goes. I have experience as a motorcycle mechanic (back in the aircooled days), so with the help of this website I hope to build a safe, fun motorized bicycle.

I really wanted a Dax kit, but he is out of stock at the moment. I will probably build with a ragmount sprocket, but I would like to immediately find a hub mount sprocket that will fit the multispeed Chinese Schwinn hub (also mostly out of stock).
Is it easier to get quality parts during the wintertime? Or are quality parts just hard to come by year round?

Anyway, I hope to get started soon, working on the bike to get it ready for the heavy duty use its about to recieve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You should do well with your mechanical experience but if there's anything we can offer don't hesitate to ask.

Parts availability tends to run in cycles. Some of the suppliers are involved in other ventures and manufacture their bike parts on as as needed basis. Some do it full time but get hit with a surge in business that depletes their stocks. Be patient because the ones you mentioned are some of the best vendors and will have what you want/need in weeks if not days.

Good luck and have fun.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome aboard.

2 Door is right. I've dealt with Dax and found him to be solid. Plus I've noticed that others around here have the same opinion.

You'll find what you need and you'll have fun in the meantime.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard, Apex.
You will find a very helpful group here, nd no one is ever treated llike an FNG.
We all were... if you read through as many of the threads as you can, for the conventional wisdom, there is no need to make any foolish mistakes.
That is to say, your first build can be quite successful !
Many of us are active experimenters with new methods and combinations, so if you have a better way to skin a cat, that will be received well, also.
Best
rc

...and we really like pics! :)

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Pics huh?

OK, here is my last project, a 400hp dodge neon.

Its my daily driver now.

Last edited: