Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Well, Lookit This, Sprocket Disc Brake ass.

Looked at the Bicycle Designer YouTube video of the product:

If you advance to 7:30, you will see the parts that they used for their kit.

Formula makes a 10" (255mm brake disc rotor). Santana Tandems installs them on their bikes:‎

Their Harmony adapter looks like King's Sales & Service TopHat adapter. Their Secret Adapter looks like the brake disc adapter from Atomic Zombie with threads cut in the inside to adapt to a freewheel hub.

I have no problem with the prices. Add up the cost of the individual components, time, labor and design and they're not making a boat load of money. $288 per unit isn't too bad. My guess is that they had the harmony adapter and Secret Adapter custom machined.

The only issue I have is using a flip-flop hub which has a right hand thread on the rear hub. I would prefer a left hand thread. I wouldn't want the whole shebang coming apart during a high speed stop.

From reading on the Internet, you'd want to use a dry chain lube on your chain, so you don't contaminate the disc brakes.

AKA: BigBlue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DBAX34 Trike Axle Disc Adapter 3.jpg (140.3 KB, 789 views)
Old 08-29-2013, 12:04 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Well, Lookit This, Sprocket Disc Brake ass.

I did a front brake conversion to my cruiser bike for $201.31 and has more stopping power than a rear brake and i got front suspension in the process.

I bought a RST suspension fork with disc brake tabs with a 1" steerer tube, mtb disc brake front wheel, 203mm caliper bracket, 203mm rotor, Avid elixir 3 hydraulic front brake setup.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
When in doubt Throttle out!

Last edited by mrfubs; 08-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.