Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Gas question

Any of you guys that has a "2 stroke" go to the gas station on their bike and fill up, then add the oil amount you need? To me it seems to be the same concept as a gas canister. You fill the red canister up with gas, go home, put the amount of oil you need, shake it or u dont shake it and then put it into your gas tank. Thought about carrying oil around if I decide to go out on long trips and jus fill up my gas and pedal around with the oil mixed in before starting the bike back up.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Default Re: Gas question

Works fine. Been doing it that way for years.
Just don't add the oil first to an empty tank because it can flow into the line and refuse to mix correctly.
Adding the correct amount of oil is a bit more difficult too. (I'm used to gallons more than liters)
If more is better, then too much is just enough.
If you can't afford it, build it yourself.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

use to have one of these a while ago but i would always fill up at the pump with my 2stroke oil in my back pack. if i was empty i would add some gas than i would eyeball the amount of oil. once you measure it out a few times itll become second nature. Did this for all the fill up and my bike ended up cracking before there were any problems with the motor.(pulled it apart after the dismantle and the cyclder walls were looking just fine)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:19 PM

If you shut off your fuel coming out of the tank, oil won't flow into the line. What I did was shut the tank petcock and add the oil first. This allows some of the oil to mix with the gas as you pump it. Then, some vigorous shaking back and forth and you're ready to ride again. I did this for over a year with no problems. Of course, now I'm a 4 stroke guy, so no more mixing the oil for me.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 PM

Does the term per-mix ring a bell? This is the correct way to do it , otherwise the oil can fall out of the gas in clog your jets and which will cause your motor to run very sluggish and not perform properly.
Mix only in a well ventilated area away from sparks or open flames .
Use adequate ventilation .
Use a clean fuel container with fresh gasoline .
Mix thoroughly before use . (Most important part )
Always follow manufacturer's recommended mix ratios for optimum performance and protection . And remember always be a good sport.
This being said shortcuts will shorten the life your motor .
Old 07-24-2013, 06:36 PM

I don't think that the fuel knows if it's being mixed in the tank or a 'can'....

The key part is "mixed thoroughly before use".

I've poured half the mix before adding gas, then added the remainder. Shaked/rocked/rolled until I was satisfied it was mixed.
You're never lost until you run outa gas.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:37 PM

Personally I would fill the tank first, and then add the oil. As long as you know you have the correct amount of oil there shouldn't be any problem.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:18 PM

Or you could get a rack for the rear and strap a gas can to it like I plan to do if the need ever arises.
2 WHEELS: '11 Huffy Good Vibrations, '11 Skyhawk GT5, 44t, CNSV2, NGK BPR7HIX, Bosch wire, shutupexhaust, 26x1.75kevlar tires, Tektro C230's, new stupid Bell chain
Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 PM

Done it both ways, as biknut said, the correct ratio of oil/fuel is the most important thing, I would also as it was mentioned turn petcock off if putting oil in first, only way oil will separate from gas is if the bike sits in very cold conditions and the mix is Castor oil or some of the synthetics claim they can do the same, as long as the bike is being jostled around there will never be any separation of oil and gas.

Get you one of these and carry it in a pack or a pouch you may have on the bike along with the extra 2 smoke oil, a very simple way to get the mix right, just put the fuel in, look at the volume gauge on gas pump and then add proper amount of oil for that amount of fuel, if you know how to figure onces from a pint up to a gallon it will be an easy.
Here's a link to the Mixmizer Syringe:
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 AM

That's what I need for my forks. I've got hydraulic forks, and putting the oil in with a measuring cup is such a pita. Of course there is oil in there now, but it needs changed every so often, probably once a year. I need to remember to get a mixmizer before the next time I change it.