Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Cruiser Bicycles

Motorized Cruiser Bicycles The beach cruiser has always been a great bicycle to motorize. They just look good with a motor. Use this section to share and discuss about motorizing this classic.

Nirve B-1

The beach cruiser has always been a great bicycle to motorize. They just look good with a motor. Use this section to share and discuss about motorizing this classic.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: Nirve B-1

Okay.. so here are some more pics now that i have the tank resealed.

The engine mounts made from hockey pucks. They isolated the vibration very well. and cleaned up the look a lot nicer than U-bolts. I used the brackets that came with the kit.

I purchased the HD jackshaft kit from SickBikeParts but also cleaned up the components as well. Cut off excess metal off of the chain tensioner and actually used the old rear motor mount aluminum bracket to help space it out to the match the hockey puck mounts. You can also see in the pic the fuel pump set up I used and the fuel bottle/fuel pump bracket. The pump is a Mikuni pulse pump. Went with a brand name though there are lots of replica ones out there.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

The bracket is made from 1/8" thick aluminum. The fuel pump bracket is epoxied onto the fuel bottle bracket. The bracket bolts onto the kick stand at the bottom, and I actually ended up using a 30mm scope ring to hold the top to the tube.

The Mikuni pump pulse signal is directly ported tot he crankcase. I drilled a hole (SUPER CAREFULLY) and tapped a 1/8" NPT fitting on there with a 1/4" hose barb. The intake has an RSE reed valve, an NT speed carb. Because the clutch hardware interfered with the carb mount, I had to extend the carb out and 45deg sideways by using the original intake tube and cutting off the flange. Coupled it with hose and clamps. Airfilter form SBP

Exhaust pipe is from Bike Berry. It's one of the expansion chamber pipes.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Clutch Lever

Throttle/brake set up. Throttle from SBP

Front Brake is a SturmeyArcher drum brake. I drilled two holes to mount to the front fork. It honestly is not enough stopping force for this. I'm probably going to have to rid of the nice front fork and go to the chopper style forks and run a disc set up in the future. I ended up soldering my own cable ends for the brake and the throttle to trim down the cable lengths to keep things clean.

Layback seat post. I cut up an old seat post. Bought some steel U-Channel. Did some cutting/bending. Had an exhaust shop help weld it up for 20$. Cleaned it all up with an angle grinder. Seat is a felt seat.

Rear extension is made from 3/16" thick 4130 plate steel. 4130 is strong stuff and will not yield with the forces applied. two 8-32 bolts to position find, and two 3/8 bolts for clamping force. I honestly thing the extension is what makes the bike look great. Without it, the frame is a bit mediocre.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:36 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Last pics... what it looked like before the build. (still modded from the original B-1)

Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Wow, that hockey puck mount is genius. Wonder if the mods approve of it. usually they despise anything with rubber but that looks solid. I bet I could make one of those mounts with a hacksaw and a couple of different files! I'm impressed man.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-shake View Post
Wow, that hockey puck mount is genius. Wonder if the mods approve of it. usually they despise anything with rubber but that looks solid. I bet I could make one of those mounts with a hacksaw and a couple of different files! I'm impressed man.
Hocky pucks aren't rubber and his method of mounting is far superior to those usually tried with a resilient material. His engine mount fasteners aren't being subjected to the vibrations produced by the engine.

Nice work Monwren. I applaud your attention to detail. Congratulations.

Tom

Last edited by 2door; 07-26-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:20 PM

Now that is one nice super clean build!! That Girvin fork looks great.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 AM

Looks fantastic! I have been wanting to do a Nirve B1 build for a while now since the frame is begging for it. You really did it justice. Excellent work
Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

thanks for the encouragement everyone.

To clarify: Hockey puck mounts were not my idea, but one from the forum. I just used the brackets that came with the kit than u-bolts.

One update: The pulse line I originally had on there was a tad too long. I ended up having high rpm fueling issues as a result. So i cut down the tube, rerouting it, and now its fine.

Looking at 3 spd hubs now as well. Not really sure how I'm going to cleanly do a shifter either.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:55 PM

Im late to the game but this is a terrific build, congrats!!!!!!

Dan.