Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:14 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Smile 1951 Schwinn Panther - maybe?

Ok so I don't know a lot about vintage bikes but I picked up a bicycle at a local fleamarket for a price I just couldn't refuse. I have been trying to research the bike since my first job is restoration. Everything is coming apart. Bearings replaced. Any non conforming parts being replaced. She needs new pedals and I think the crank sprocket is the wrong size. All in all she's in very decent shape. So first things first. I want to positively id the exact model. I am fairly certain she's a 1951 Schwinn by looking up the serial number and I think a Panther the problem is the Hornet seems to look the same. How do I know the difference? I also have another little issue. The lock that is on the front forks. What exactly does that do? How does it work? There is a key broken in it and it's not seized in there but I can't seem to find anything small enough to pull it out yet. Is that going to cause me a problem? Also there is a number on that lock. Can I get a new key made from that number? Too many questions. Sorry.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Staff

Default Re: 1951 Schwinn Panther - maybe?

Howdy Vgirl.

Post pictures if you can. A lot of folks here will have experience and ideas.

Sounds like a great find!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 07-09-2013, 06:38 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Pictures, lets see some.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 AM

sounds like you found a really nice bike i would reconsider motorizing it the sprocket that you say is wrong size is prolly a skip tooth sprocket with matching rear wheel coasterbrake that says new departure with a oilcup on the hub is this what you have..if it is leave it original

glennbo
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo View Post
sounds like you found a really nice bike i would reconsider motorizing it the sprocket that you say is wrong size is prolly a skip tooth sprocket with matching rear wheel coasterbrake that says new departure with a oilcup on the hub is this what you have..if it is leave it original

glennbo
Plus the locking springer, pictures would really help.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

The serial numbers will tell you the year month and day it was stamped, but not the model. If it is 1951 then the question is what frame design does it have... is it the straight bar (commonly referred to as the Panther or does it have a cantilever frame in which case it is not a panther. Both frame types had different models distinguished by color and paint design, decals, more or less expensive shiny do dahs (lights, fender ornaments, etc.).

Both frame designs are well made and make nice foundations for motorized bikes. Yes, pictures are what makes us happy. Welcome to the forum.
SB
Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I will post pics as soon as I am able. The reason I think the sprocket is wrong is because it is actually worn a small spot into the frame from being pedalled. I figured it must be that or maybe the bearings need to be replaced. I don't know anything about skiptooths other than the pics I'ved seen so you guys would be better at telling me that. The thing that confused me most were the forks. The forks are different than the 51 and I've since found a pre-war Schwinn with the same forks so maybe I'm off base. Maybe it's older. I would love to convert it but if I shouldn't I'm down with that too. This is exciting!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

The locking fork suggests it was a more expensive model. I've built several bikes with both types of frames and none of mine had the locking fork. Are there any decals on the frame or chain guard to identify it? The fork looking different than something else you've seen in a picture doesn't mean much since one might have been a springer type and the other not. Depending on the condition of the bike (if it is complete and pretty pristine) then OK, maybe leave it alone, but it is your bike to do with as you want. You want a motorbike? Then put a motor on it. We'll help you.

Regarding the lock I can't help you with either getting it out or with replacing the key. One of the vintage bike sites (Old Roads is one I think)... one of those people may be able to help you.

Looking forward to photos.
SB

Last edited by silverbear; 07-09-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum, Wes Pinchot can repair, and make a new key for the locking fork. they went on the springers or truss rods forks, he is in the Chicago area, 847-259-0484.
You can also check http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1...951_mdls1.html
for more info of your bike.

Ray

PS pics please.

Last edited by mason_man; 07-09-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:55 PM

My first panther had a worn spot from the cranks being loose. If it has a straight bar right below the top curved bar and a kickstand behind the seat post tube it is most likely a panther with a skip tooth set up.