Newbie from Lancaster, PA

GoldenMotor.com

Onirus

Jun 19, 2013
Lancaster
Hey Folks,

I'm new to the idea of Motorized Bicycles but I'd like to dive head first into my first build.

I've been browsing a little here and there and I'm really excited.

My goals are to:

1) Build a Street Legal Bike for PA (and possibly other states)
2) One that is both Light & Sturdy
3) Mountable to the back or top of a vehicle

I've read a few other folks from PA have been able to make theirs legal by meeting the requirements in the MOMO factsheet, Subchapter J of Motor-Driven Cycles and Motorized Pedacycles, and by taking it to a Enhanced Vehicle Inspection Station.

Any recommendations as to where to start would be amazing.

What are peoples opinions on these bikes in regards to frame type, shocks, tire size, engine preferences, etc?

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

-Alex

zpt

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
There's two building philosophies: 1) Spend the money for a quality kit. 2) Buy a cheap kit then spend money up grading it. I personally prefer 4 stroke engines. My dealer is Staton Inc. I've got over 4500 miles on my kit with no problems so far. In our world lite isn't always a good thing. Steal frame bikes are less prone to cracking.

As for my bike I've got the only gas powered bicycle in the world that's shifts 5 gears automatically. There's very creative people here who can help you. Glad to see you want to keep it legal.

Last edited:

Onirus

Jun 19, 2013
Lancaster
Hey Jerry,

Thanks for the reply. I am mechanically inept. So this will definitely be quite a project for me. 4.5k miles on one motor is awesome! Yea I have lots of reading to do before I undertake this project. Ha... I don't even know where to start.

-Alex

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
With 4 strokes change the oil every 50 hours and clean the air filter every 10 hours, then about all you'll ever need to do is replace the sparkplug.

Onirus

Jun 19, 2013
Lancaster
Awesome. Thanks for the help Jerry. I'm thinking of using a MTB or Cruiser frame with front shocks for a smoother ride.

jim71

Jun 13, 2013
pa
hey onirus welcome !
I been on this form for 2 weeks trying to figure out what kit to get ,
it went from 2 stroke to 4stroke to electric
love the electric bike ,but the worked up verison,0 to 50 mph in seconds now that is awesome ! hills no problem! love it , But very expensive !! and mileage seems to be from 18 to 30...
I will do one in the future lot to learn about that electric stuff ,
for now I think the 4 stroke kit will be fun and have miles of smiles I hope anyways
im gona go with the ez kit wih the q-matic drive ,little pricey but might as well start out on the right foot I guess ,not looking to set speed records just a cruiser and lets face it 30 is pretty fast on a bike lol
im gona throw it on my mountain bike ,it kinda looks like the bike dax used for his demo install of the 4 stroke ,so I should be ok ,no shocks tho ,oh boy !
keep us posted on what you come up with !

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Onirus, welcome to the forum. I myself am from the Lancaster area (grew up in Mount Joy, lived in Lancaster and Lititz as well), but currently reside in Lebanon. I may possibly be able to get together with you and help you with your build, if you would like. Send me a private message and I can text you or email you if you want. As far as the legal side of things, you have to realize that it's not the cheapest or quickest process. I'll tell you what I know. First, in order to pass the enhanced inspection, you will need DOT approved headlight, taillight and brake light. I don't believe that turn signals are required, as it is still a bicycle I believe hand signals are acceptable (I'm not legal and I use hand signals). You will need adequate brakes. I am not sure if DOT approval is required on brakes or not, but a moped drum should meet that requirement if it is. I think you also need DOT rated tires ($$$). All that will probably cost you $200 or more. The enhanced vehicle inspection costs $160 and up, and if you don't pass you have 30 days to meet any unmet requirements and reinspect. You will have to take the enhanced vehicle inspection form to a notary and have it notarized, and that will cost whatever the notary charges. Then you have to apply for a title, which means an application fee for that. Then you have to pay another fee to get the title, then a registration fee, license plate fee (yearly, $17) and also will need moped insurance, which is about $90 a year. The entire process can take up to six months. I can tell you from my experiences of driving through Lancaster, Lititz, Ephrata, Mount Joy and E-Town that most cops in the county give a rat's behind about these little motorbikes. One cop pulled me over for tags in New Holland on my way to Pottstown, and let me go with a warning. That is the ONLY time I was ever stopped anywhere in Lancaster county. I drive my 98cc cruiser back and forth to work every day in Lebanon and have passed cops numerous times, and they have never bothered me here either. If you want to be legal and spend the money and wait up to six months, I respect that decision. I just don't think its necessary. As long as you drive safely and don't interfere with traffic (I ride in the shoulder or off to the side most of the time), I honestly don't think the cops will bother you. Anyway, its your choice either way. Again, send me a private message if you want to talk about getting together.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
True the cops may never bother you. However if by chance you're ever involved in a multiple vehicle accident that's when laws will be applied to you. So if you're not legal pray nobody runs into you or pulls out in front of you causing you to hit them.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I got into an accident when I built my first bike, the cops never said a word about the engine other than it was pretty cool. The lady's insurance company even paid for damages to my bike as well as my emergency room bill.

Onirus

Jun 19, 2013
Lancaster
Hey Bigbutterbean. I think my plan will be to make the bike legal in the long run but for now my aim is just to get one built. I'll definitely send you a PM and would love to talk shop with you.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
That sounds reasonable. I sent you a message. If I have some spare time I'll definitely come over and help you out. We can talk over the phone or through email or whatever, but some things are easier to show than explain. Also, problems are easier to diagnose when the bike is in front of me.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
There's also a get together this summer in the area. Check out the 'events and rides' section of the forum. Even if you don't have a running bike at that point, you can still bring your questions.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
When it comes to the law sometimes you just get a lucky break. However most of the time you don't. Just build within your state's guidelines and do what you have to in order to be legal when you're able to.