Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles

Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles Forum announcements and instructions for posting on motorbicycling.com. To start a new thread choose the appropriate area. No new threads can be started in this area

Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Attention new members!

For a bike with rear suspension, a rear mounted engine kit is the easiest. You can use a friction drive or chain drive depending on your tastes.
Most full suspension frames do not have enough room in the triangle area to fit an in frame engine. Also there is the issue of keeping the engine drive chain properly tensioned as the rear wheel moves up and down when the suspension travels.
A rear mounted engine solves these issues.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 AM

If you can find a Mountain bike with rear suspension that will fit a motor,
A shift Kit can alleviate chain tension prob's.
Some of the fancier bikes have interesting L arm suspension linkages, I have seen bikes that this would work on, but $$$.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Ok, so I couldn't figure out how to make a new post, but anyway. I'm building a Micargi Tahiti cruiser with the 80cc motor kit from bikeberry. I ran into a problem with the expansion chamber, my pedal will hit the expansion chamber when finished. how do i fix this? also original exhaust does hit. I would really like the expansion chamber on the bike. does anyone make a part that I can bolt on to make the exhaust chamber longer to make exhaust sit further away from the pedal? i don't know how to post pictures
Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 PM

Wider crank arms?
wider bottom bracket?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:19 AM

Got pictures?
It is very common for the stock exhaust to hit the pedals. The most common fix is to file the bolt holes in the header flange (where it bolts up to the cylinder) to elongate them a little. Only file the side of the holes that will allow you to move the exhaust in the direction you want it to move to. Do not just randomly file the holes bigger. This will allow you to "twist" or rotate it it a little before tightening the exhaust nuts and hopefully let the exhaust fit better. You can also slightly bend the header pipe if the the bolt hole trick does not move the exhaust over enough.
Don't forget to support the muffler with a strap to the bicycle frame. The mounting studs were not designed to hold the whole weight of the exhaust all by themselves.

Now for the expansion chamber style of exhaust; with the exception of the SBP exhaust, which comes with various pieces of pipe and rubber couplers to custom fit the header pipe to your bike, there are no "kits" to custom make a pipe.You could try to make your own system like the SBP one with copper plumbing parts, high temperature silicone tubing and hose clamps.
You could also make the parts you need out of steel tubing and have a muffler shop weld it together for you. Paint it with BBQ paint when it is done to protect it from rust.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."

Last edited by GearNut; 02-17-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Well said, But I would ad this
DO REMEMBER these little things are highly addictive
if your married get her addicted as soon as possible
Happy Wife Happy Life LOL
i should of known this before i traded my wife for another bike lol
Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
Got pictures?
It is very common for the stock exhaust to hit the pedals. The most common fix is to file the bolt holes in the header flange (where it bolts up to the cylinder) to elongate them a little. Only file the side of the holes that will allow you to move the exhaust in the direction you want it to move to.
We call that 'reamy reamy' here, and don't use a file.
We just get a drill bit the size of the mount holes, then just ream each hole up and down some so they are more like grooves than holes.
As mentioned this will allow you to twist the pipe in some.
Also note you can put an extra exhaust gasket or two on to move the pipe forward.

Quote:
Paint it with BBQ paint when it is done to protect it from rust.
BBQ paint is garbage, at least the Ace hardware stuff is. It just leaves an oily runny mess.
We use nothing but PlastKote high temp engine enamel for everything on an MB. The auto parts store around the corner from me carries it. It's expensive at ~$10 a can but the stuff is awesome.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I'm just getting started in the world of motor bicycling and I'm looking to make just a really basic bike that I can ride around my neighborhood and city. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions about a good bike I could use and possibly a good source for a spare engine or a reliable cheap engine kit. Thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac57 View Post
Really? Thats what you got?
Wow.
Or he isn't disengaging the clutch lol
Old 01-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

dont mean to bring pack an old post, but how do i check if theres replies to my post or forums?