Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Stretch Cruiser & Chopper Motorized Bicycles

Stretch Cruiser & Chopper Motorized Bicycles This area is for sharing all about our custom stretch cruisers and chopper motorized bicycles

Schwinn Stingray Chopper Models 20" & Spoiler Models

This area is for sharing all about our custom stretch cruisers and chopper motorized bicycles

Old 05-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Dealer

Thumbs up Schwinn Stingray Chopper Models 20" & Spoiler Models

How many different Models of the Schwinn Stingray Choppers were produced, both the Big Box Stores Target, Walmart, and Toys R Us, models and the Special / Limited Edition Models only sold thru authorized / Licensed Independent Schwinn Bicycle Dealers.

Here's the Models that I know of, can you add to this thread so that all of us Schwinn Stingray OCC Chopper owners will know as much as possible about them, who sold them and the many models that Schwinn Produced?

If you have a Schwinn Chopper you need to read this, if I hadn't done the research I wouldn't have known if my Schwinn StingRay Chopper was one of the $160.00 Schwinn OCC Choppers sold by Walmart, Target, and Toys R Us. If you bought your Schwinn StingRay Chopper from a Schwinn Bicycle Shop / Dealer you most likely have the Higher Quality Schwinn StingRay Chopper which are becoming more rare / harder to find and expensive to boot.

Part chopper. Part cruiser.
100% muscle bike -- The new Schwinn Sting-Ray is all about the ride. Built with customized parts -- like the Big Boa Tire and signature V-back Handlebars -- it's no wonder Schwinn Sting-Rays are endorsed by Orange County Choppers. Straddle the saddle and hit the pavement... the rebirth of cool has arrived.

This bike is not bad at all, for a bike being sold in the mass market like chain stores Wal-Mart - Target - ToysRus - and more.
Its roughly $160.00 The Sting-Ray bikes rolled into mass big box stores in mid-April 2004, then production was cancelled by Schwinn in 2006!
The manufacturer of this bike is Schwinn/Pacifc Cycle-Dorel Industries.

The Limited Edition Models were "The Squadron" (Army Air Corps Fighting Tiger) Model, "The Link" Blue with Ghost Chain Decals Model, The Stealth (Blacked Out) Model, and The Schwinn Stingray Web Limited Edition Model, these Limited Edition Models were sold only by Authorized Independent Schwinn Dealer Bicycle Shops, the MSRP Retail Price was $599.00

The Walmart, Toys R Us, and Target big box store 20" Schwinn Sting-Ray ( Street Series ) Choppers, had a retail price of $169.00-$180.00

There were also Limited Edition Schwinn Sting-Ray Choppers that were the " Electric Chopper " with rear wheel / hub powered electric bicycle with the Batteries encased in plastic V-Twin Harley look alike engine this bike and the Special Edition 3 Speed Models.

The Adult size Choppers were $699.00 and up these to were only sold thru Authorized Schwinn Bicycle Dealers, The Spoiler Editions & Spoiler SS 3-Speed Fatboy, The Adult Size Fatboy 3-Speed Spoiler SS is the rarest since Schwinn only built only (1) one of these.

The Brains Behind The Sting-Ray Design. The Schwinn Sting-Ray Production Comes To A End 2004-2006.
A man hits it big with new Schwinn Sting-Ray bike design.
He's former Lompoc, CA. resident Frank Blankenship who was "messing around" on his computer and turned out to be magic for one major bike company.

Blankenship - who grew up in town, graduated from Lompoc High School and attended Allan Hancock College - is the brains behind the design for the new Schwinn Sting-Ray. The retro-looking bicycle that resembles a chopper without the engine has a motorcycle-style kick stand, pedals that jut out from the body, a chrome fender, a 4.5-inch rear tire, a seat with rivets in the upholstery, and flame decals.

It took about 400 hours to design and put together a presentation to pitch it to Schwinn, but only four days for the company to respond, Blankenship said. Before he knew it he was being flown to Schwinn's headquarters to hammer out a deal with the company's top brass.
"The whole experience has made me think things are possible," Blankenship said. "I think this is a Cinderella story for messing around."
Blankenship's deal includes quarterly royalty checks on the bike sales and merchandise with the Sting-Ray logo. The 49-year-old said he wants to use the money to retire early. "I told my wife that this has commercial value to it. I thought it was going to be something."
Blankenship, a manager in Lockheed Martin's graphics department in Marietta, Ga., said he started coming up with designs for a bike and some off the wall things because he does not get to draw at work anymore. He has ideas for other bicycles to pitch to Schwinn.
His design is the first Sting-Ray bike to hit sidewalks and streets in 25 years and it is the brand's 40th anniversary bike.

Schwinn's ( ARCHIVED ) Sting-Ray Chopper Web site boasts "The rebirth of cool has arrived."
Schwinn launched the new Sting-Ray Chopper's in April 2004 and it quickly became clear that Schwinn had something very special on there hands.
But all cool things do come to a end.... -- On September 29th, 2006
Dorel-Pacific Cycles, Schwinn launched a sad press release ending the production of The Schwinn Stingray Chopper - PR.

I hope others will share more information here in this thread about the Schwinn Stingray OCC Choppers!

C.H.

Click on the pictures below to see full size of images!

Schwinn Stingray Choppers named "The Street Series 20-Inch Stingray Choppers".
Below picture was taken from the Schwinn Website Archives and shows the Big Box Store $160.00 Schwinn Stingray Choppers that were sold by Target, Toys R Us, and Walmart, these Models came in Red, Black, Blue, Green, Chrome, and the Girls Versions came in Pink, these were single speed.

Click on picture for full size image!

The below picture was taken from the Schwinn Website Archives, and shows the Schwinn Stingray Chopper Electric Limited Edition model sold only thru authorized Independent Schwinn Bicycle Shops.

The below picture was taken from the Schwinn Website Archives, and shows the Adult Size Schwinn Stingray Spoiler, this was also only sold thru authorized Independent Schwinn Bicycle Dealers, MSRP: $699.00

The below picture was taken from the Schwinn Website Archives, and shows The Schwinn Stingray Squadron Limited Edition Chopper, there were also two (2) other Limited Edition Schwinn Stingray Choppers those are The Schwinn Stingray Web Limited Edition Chopper, and The Schwinn Stingray Link Limited Edition Chopper, these were also only sold thru authorized Independent Schwinn Bicycle Dealers.

The below picture shows The Schwinn Stingray Spoiler Fatboy 3-Speed SS Model, this was a Prototype one off Model that never went into Production, picture shown was in Schwinn Independent Bicycle Dealer Catalog, the complete Schwinn Stingray Chopper Series was canceled in 2006.

I have more pictures of the Schwinn Stingray Choppers to add in additional post's.

These engines work best used for motorizing the Stretch Cruisers & Chopper builds.

Last edited by Crazy Horse; 05-12-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added Names in Text of Schwinn Chopper Models
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazy Horse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Dealer

Thumbs up Re: Schwinn Stingray Chopper Models 20" & Spoiler Models

More Schwinn Stingray Chopper Models.

The Schwinn Stingray Spoiler SS 3-Speed Fatboy Chopper Prototype, Schwinn only produced (1) one of these amazing Adult Size Choppers before stopping production on the Schwinn Stingray Chopper Series Bicycles.

Schwinn Stingray Chrome Limited Edition 3-Speed Chopper 20-Inch which had a 16-Inch front wheel,
there was also a Schwinn Black Limited Edition 3-Speed Chopper 20-Inch.

Schwinn Stingray Squadron Limited Edition Chopper Sidecar.

Schwinn Stingray Stealth Limited Edition Chopper.

Schwinn Stingray OCC Web Limited Edition Chopper.

If you have any information about The Schwinn Stingray Chopper Rides, such as Schwinn Dealer catalog with specifications and Model names please add your information to the Schwinn Stingray Chopper Models thread.

Peace Crazy Horse.

P.S. Here's the Link to my Schwinn Stingray Choppers photobucket page with more Schwinn Stingray Chopper pictures!
http://s978.photobucket.com/user/ICr...?sort=3&page=1

These engines work best used for motorizing the Stretch Cruisers & Chopper builds.

Last edited by Crazy Horse; 05-12-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Typos
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazy Horse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Dealer

I can't remember so help me out can anyone remember, what was the other Limited Edition Schwinn Stingray Chopper, not listed in above post's?

I know some of you Schwinn Stingray Chopper, Schwinn Bicycle Collectors / Owners have to know, what the other Stingray Chopper produced by Schwinn was, it's a rare one, maybe only 100 produced by Schwinn!

C.H.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: Schwinn Stingray Chopper Models 20" & Spoiler Models

Wow, very cool Crazy Horse. Lots of cool pics and info. I had no idea they had so many models. Thanks for the informative post.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scary G For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Dealer

Anyone have any information about the Super Rare Adult Size
Schwinn Stingray XL Chopper's, and the Adult Size Schwinn Stingray XXL Chopper's?

They have the same frame design as the Kid's Model the Schwinn Stingray Chopper Street Series 20-inch bikes, the only difference is the Adult Size Schwinn Stingray Chopper XL ( Extra Long ) & Adult Size Schwinn Stingray Chopper known as the XXL ( Extra Extra Long ) Choppers have longer frame tubes ( than the standard 20-inch Street Series Stingray Chopper's ) about 7-inches for the XL model and 10-inches is the extended tube length for the Schwinn Stingray Chopper XXL model.

There is only one other Schwinn Stingray Chopper it's the Adult Size Stingray Chopper and this one is the only other Schwinn Stingray Chopper that I've ever heard of, other than those listed in above post's.

It's the Schwinn Stingray XXL Chopper, rumor is that only a couple of these were produced for Pro Basketball Players, for adults over 6'-5".

If you have any information about these two Schwinn Stingray Choppers please share it here in the thread.

C.H.

This is the only picture I have of the Schwinn Stingray XXL Chopper from a builder at Ratrodbikes or BRK, can't remember?

Here's the Adult Size Schwinn Stingray Spoiler Chopper, the Adult Size Schwinn Stingray Chopper XL Model, and the Adult Size Schwinn Stingray Chopper XXL Model, all three Adult Size Choppers side by side.

Last edited by Crazy Horse; 05-17-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Nice Work Crazy Horse!
The Following User Says Thank You to pedalchopper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

The only pictures i've seen of the occ xl are blue
Old 06-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Dealer

According to Greg Blake of Pacific Cycles the XXl's were produced for Celebrity's & Professional Basket Ball Player's.

Here's the Google Link for the Schwinn Stingray Chopper Frame:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=p.../USD510547.pdf

C.H.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

When they first came out, I bought out all the local WalMart's and Target's, then sold them on eBay, making enough to keep a red one for myself. I had it for about a year, then sold it at a yard sale. It was really too small for a guy that's 5'10" and weighs, well, a lot.
Now that people are motorizing them... there are a couple on CL right now for less than $100.

Kind of ironic that they were the rebirth of cool, then disco'ed 2 years after release. I wonder if Frank Blankenship is still getting royalty checks.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalchopper View Post
Nice Work Crazy Horse!
Found another unknown Model it's a non-OCC model, oh well just see the picture, can anyone Identify this Model?

The seat cover is black with silver metal flake..never seen this seat design before...

C.H.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tribal Stingray Chopper_02.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	60656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tribal Stingray Chopper_01.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	505.0 KB
ID:	60657  

Tags
pedalchopper occ chopper, schwinn spoiler, schwinn stingray chopper, schwinn xl chopper