Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default A Colorado Rocky Mountain Hi

A general question from a still spry 73 year old. I don't think I have the mechanical ability or patience to modify a bike to a motorized or electric unit. I have a 15-speed with somewhat medium wide tire but not as wide as the old balloon tires. Considering safety, stability, ease of maintenance, noise level, cost and something not too speedy, what would you recommend for one of the geezer crowd? The way and speeds people drive in the cities here in Colorado, I would probably take it up to some of the small mountain towns and tour on the back roads. Oh yes, it would have to run OK at altitudes to 10,000 feet. And, probably something I could mount on a trunk type bike rack. Might be a good way to peruse some of the trout streams.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: A Colorado Rocky Mountain Hi

Wow 10,00' you'd sure need to get it pretty lean at that altitude. I'd like to ride up that high sometime just to see what my bike would do. Welcome to the forum. What part of Colorado you from?..........bicycle motor

Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Administrator

you may want to go electric. most of them only do around 15 mph and you will have to pedal assist it up the hills. i am sure someone knows about the altitude thing. as far as mechanical ability i have zero. kit said 2 hours to build and took me 2 week lol but is worth every minute of time put into it. i have both electric and gas and i perfer the gas over electric but i like to do around 30mph. if you get one you have my phone number and i will always be available to help you
paul
Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
minor bike philosopher

Electric will not have the range you want to tour. I have built and ride both. Twenty miles sounds like a lot till you actually do it. Plus as batteries age they lose some of their ump. And up hill eats the power. Gasoline is the way to go. If you carry the bike on your truck, then you can park your truck so starting is a downhill pedal and make it easier on yourself,

However they are noisy and smelly and almost as heavy as an electric bike with the batteries.

Take a look over the site and see what you like. I'm sure you can tailer something to your needs. Most important thing is to stay active. At least it has worked for me.

I got active again about a year ago and feel as good as i ever did. So don't quit go for it all. Just as long as you can.

I have my gasoline bike set to run about twenty miles per hour max... The electics will do about 15 mph. If you did want to build your own, the electric would be easier to build. That new hub kits is very easy and would just replace your front wheel and string a couple of wires. That one you probably could do in half a day with minor tools.

Last edited by deacon; 03-12-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Administrator

make sure you have a good padded case on your rack for you camera equipment. theloneranger is an awesome photographer and i love the pictures he does
Old 03-12-2008, 11:28 PM
minor bike philosopher

Well I would buy a cheap throw away camera if I was going to carry it on one of the gas bikes. I have ruined a lot of equipment just on the seat of my car let alone these things.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Hi Ho Silver!

Sorry.

I think a bicycle motor like that'sdax has on ebay (dacscommm) or similar motorized bicycle kit would work fine for your needs. The needle in the carb is easily adjustable, and should be fine at that altitude.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikeabikea View Post
Wow 10,00' you'd sure need to get it pretty lean at that altitude. I'd like to ride up that high sometime just to see what my bike would do. Welcome to the forum. What part of Colorado you from?..........bicycle motor
I live in the Colorado Front Range near the foothills about 45 minutes from Rocky Mountain National Park. BTW, when you reach 62 you can buy a Golden Age Passport for a one time fee of $10 that allows you and all the passengers in your vehicle entrance to any National Park in the U.S.A.....FREE for life. Plus you can stay in any campsite up to 14 days for 1/2 price. One of the few perks to getting older.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISER View Post
make sure you have a good padded case on your rack for you camera equipment. theloneranger is an awesome photographer and i love the pictures he does
Here are a few photos from this area: winter and summer.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:59 AM
minor bike philosopher

Beautiful scenery and great information about the parks I am old enough for that. Of course not too many passengers can get on my bike. lol