Finally not so lonely!

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
A metal scrapyard is a good place to try your bike part shopping, you pay scrap metal price, and if you have not much stuff, they just let you have it for free.
A got a free front disc brake caliper and a couple spark plug wires 2 weeks ago, last summer I got a rear suspension shock for my dual suspension Raleigh for FREE, and other things for free.

Free is an awesome price, I'll take it!
This works well in almost ANY size town. As long as it has a scrap yard, there are bikes available!

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
2Door: Thank you!! So much! I have a helmet coming soon I hope! I believe it is DOT approved! But definitely will check out Iron Horse and see what they have, hard to find my size!!! Thanks for all your help Tom! I couldnt have made it through some of my confusion with out you!!

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
We have a scrapyard,but due to the lack of parental supervision of children,you can no longer walk through it. Real bummer too,I've been trying to find some old kick scooters. Strada by Variflex anyone? The only one with 3 bars under the deck?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I have looked everywhere. But....I can only use the Variflex scooter or a newer 20" disc brake kick scooter called the Toucan 20S. I might be able to use a Mongoose Pro Scoot but it doesn't have the extra 3rd bar going to the rear under the deck. And I would have to cut some frame parts. If I ever get a drill I will be posting on the thread 5150 where I'm turning a kick scooter into a motorized bicycle with no welding invovled. All nuts ands screws,just like me.

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
D gizzle: this sounds very interesting, let me know when you post in that thread or pics I would like to see it!!

ALSO, does anyone have hub coaster pedal brakes on their bike? My bike has cable brakes and I want to know if those are better brakes to use? My second bike project I am looking to get have them, but do have an extra fork for disc brake mount ready which I will eventually get and do but want to know if those are brakes are good to start with?!???????? Anyone?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I was able to get the coaster brake to work on my project ---- just had to bend the lever so that it would clear the bolts on the pineapple spocket. They work OK.....but the stopping was much more confident when I added the front caliper brake.

Good luck on your next project!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have two bikes with rear coaster braks and front disc. They'll stop on a dime from any speed.
Coasters get a bad rap but actually they are good brakes but I wouldn't run without a front brake no matter what's in the rear. Front brakes on a bike are just as critical and they are on a car or motorcycle. You wouldn't ride/drive either without front brakes, why ride a bike without them?

Tom

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
X-seler: thank you I will remember that and 2Door: Yes I am looking into getting disc brakes on my first build and on the second I am thinking about, cable brakes just dont cut it!! Thanks guys was kinda wondering the difference from cable to coaster brakes! Definitely looking into buying some disc brakes!! :)

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
X-seler: thank you I will remember that and 2Door: Yes I am looking into getting disc brakes on my first build and on the second I am thinking about, cable brakes just dont cut it!! Thanks guys was kinda wondering the difference from cable to coaster brakes! Definitely looking into buying some disc brakes!! :)
Cable disc work pretty good and can be found cheap. The rotor/calipers I am using are $11 each but remember you have to have disc capable hubs also.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product6711_70_-Funn-EZR-Mechanical-Disc-Brake-w--Rotor.htm

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I live in hill country (Tennessee) and rim brakes stop me just fine. If you can afford disc brakes by all means get them. However I've hit down hill speeds over 45 mph and still had no problem being able to stop with rim brakes. As for coaster brakes they're fine for low speed stops but I personally wouldn't want to use them at speeds over 30 mph. You'll wear out your tires and be prone to skidding.

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Wild bill: how can you tell and what am I looking for on my hub to make sure they are disc capable? Thank you for the link too, those are cheap!! :) LR Jerry: my cable rim brakes stop me pretty good but they squeal like a mo fo!! Louder than my engine!??

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Thank you OR Jerry I was kinda wondering if they were cheaper pads being that the bike was bought at wal-mart!? I will check out some better quality pads and see if that helps! Thanks!!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
My two cents again...coasters are damn scary when they start fading, and in my case, with my cheap China wheel...it was quick.

You're lucky because you've got v-brakes. Upgrade those pads to some Kool Stop's and you'll be golden...well.....until you start pushing 40+ on a regular basis. :D

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Say 2door,
You gonna be there for the group ride, rec center, Berkley Park,
Denver, June 2?

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Say 2door,
You gonna be there for the group ride, rec center, Berkley Park,
Denver, June 2, 12 noon? %^&*&^ double post; cant get it to delete!

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Ross, the disc compatable hubs have a 6 bolt pattern on one end and it isnt likely that yours will be disc hubs, they rarley come on a bike that doesnt already have disc. And LR Jerry is right, properly adjusted V-brakes(Rim brakes) work great. As far as noise, rim brake pads need to have a little toe in adjustment and they wont squeel.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Ross, the disc compatable hubs have a 6 bolt pattern on one end and it isnt likely that yours will be disc hubs, they rarley come on a bike that doesnt already have disc. And LR Jerry is right, properly adjusted V-brakes(Rim brakes) work great. As far as noise, rim brake pads need to have a little toe in adjustment and they wont squeel.
+1

Two things are needed to install discs, a compatible fork with tabs and a 6-bolt wheel.

Granted, if your bike is compatible, you can get a nice mtn bike fork for fairly cheap, and a nice double wall mtn wheel and that would work nicely. :D