Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Gidday from Hanoi Vietnam

Giiday, Im an Aussie up in Vietnam,and just built my first Motorbicyle. 80 cc ( 66cc really im told) witha jack shaft kit and epanmsion chamber form sick bikes and trying to get self powered 12 volt. Its a blast to ride among the lunatic traffic and can beat a scoooter across town int he traffic all day long.

I have all the bugs ironed out as such, But Im havimg some challeneges as of yet.
Need help on getting it to run smoother at higher revs
and would love to knwo whats out there to generate 12 volts / and up grade magneto.

Running smoother
to get it to run and start more reliable. I tossed that heap of crap chinese carby, and put ona pit bike carby, starting hot or cold, now no problem, I have begont o "tune the expansion chamber, but think the carby needs to be much better before I go hacking off any more engine pipe. Buyinmg specilist parts here is a reeal challenge. In short it idols pretty well and lower to mid range runs ok, but at top end its doesnt run very smooth and breaks down a bit. Any idea

12 volt options, witht eh help of a very bright young fella here, we attempted running 12 volt off the magneto, it turns out that there is 1 12 volt power source off the mag to run spark and a 6 or 7 volt power source to run lights...bugger 6 volt..Im running a 12 volt 1 am lil battery and 2200 led head light and led indicators and frear light, have got my bright young mate Mario to balance out the ampages and flasher unti to run it all, great job. But stil cant charge off engine/ not have to plug into the maisn outlet to charge bateery.

Im wonder if there is a Magneto upgrade somewhere or a wheel driven 12 volt generator to charge the battery, any ideas anywhere. Or do we have to make something ourselves.

As a newby, Id love to hear back from someone

Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Default Re: Gidday from Hanoi Vietnam

Howdy Mark, welcome.

Some great thoughts and questions. You'll get many opinions on each. I would look in related sections for threads on each. Some incredible talent here and you will find a wealth of knowledge.

Glad you joined us and hope you enjoy. Cheers

worst apocalypse ever
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Welcome to the forum. I have heard Hanoi described as the motor scooter capital of the world.
“You're only young once, but you can be immature as long as you like" -Unknown
Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Yeah mate its not the place to bring my road bikes from australia, so these lil rockets are pretty fieresome in the traffic and aint too bad to get off the beaten terack too. But tuning and lighting stil needs to be worked out more. any ideas on both do flick me the links etc.

have a great day

Last edited by markfeeney; 04-23-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

I've used both 6V and 12V generators which run by friction against the tire. You know the kind; they've been around for years. Generally I've had good luck with them, but had at least one burn up on me. They do tend to blow incandescent bulbs as they produce more voltage at speeds higher than ever anticipated for a bicycle generator. That was a problem until I switched over to LED lamps which are more tolerant of a wider band of voltage. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...