full suspension chopper custom frame

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
hi guys i was wondering could yous help i have a mock up design of a chopper frame i want to build as full suspension and intend to make it a softtail type frame to imitate harley styling. i will be motorising the bike using a pitbike or smalll qaud engine copy honda most likely. any way i was hoping if i could get ideas for best way to do rear suspension, thinking a u bend on end of top tube to hide shock in with bannana seat ovr it, think yamaha virago style for yous familiar with bikes. also how would be best way to make bottom tube a double tube type cradle or single with offset engine mount/skid plate?pino.

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
hey rusty i may not get it built for a year or so but just in planning and design stage. only definite is will be chopper with full suspension, miniqaud or pitbike engine at heart, obviously pedals and jackshaft.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
I got no ideas but I'm deffinatley interested in afull suspension chopper build. Crazyhorse would be who I'd talk to tho. That dude is a beast when it comes to choppers with the lifan/honda clone engine setups \m/

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Yeah seen some of hiscreations on here and they are my base plan for this but with different
Here's a suggestion Irish, you could modify a Schwinn OCC Stingray Pedalchopper bicycle.

Modify it how?, cut the rear triangle off the Chopper and then mount pivots to top of rear trangle and weld up some tab mounts for the lower section of rear triangle for softtail style under frame shock absorbers.

Here's a link to some full size Harley clone softtail frames, these should get your creative thoughts brewing with idea's on how to make this a reality!

https://www.google.com/search?q=sof...HD4APQz4CwDA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=703

Let us know how this works out, I'm curious and will be following your lead / build...

C.H.
P.S. This could be the latest / new Style for customizing Stretch Cruisers and Schwinn OCC Pedalchoppers. ie.. Soft Tails...

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Come on 88 veiws and 1 response was planning to make veiwable in my profile to friends free plans when frame is finished
I like it, Irish sharing the plans. I'm onboard for the free plans when completed and will be watching your build progress!!!

C.H.
P.S. How much is the cost of the plans for the Soft Tail Chopper design? Hmm..My favorite price is always $$$$ FREE, I'm loving this build already too much..

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
i was plannning something simialar to what is in picture exept using a shock, for anybody not famialar this is a early 80's type yamaha virago being hardtailed i dont own it but my da has same bike for spares for newer one so i can get easy access to real one for design purposes.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
hey guys i finally have rear suspension down to two options using a conventional shock. they are either make like a early 80's virago swingarm that i linked with shock hidden under a homemade seat or tunnel on frame with a hidden pivot and dead end pipes spiked going into swing arm to creat the effect of solid rear. i also have a more exotic but similiar design in that the shock is hidden under the bike and the linkage to swing arm is made on tubes coming up to seat post and linkage with guides going th a hidden pivot under bike with shock on main frame entirely and swingarm lets bike open out kind of idea. will put pictures up later for all to see and give feeedback on. link to both ideas in attachment. the second i shoe only two main components but also is linkage arm to go outside blue bit is most important part with guide plate

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
I have finally got rear suspensiom idea finalised but now have problem i want to draw frame up in cad and was wondering if anybody has a copy not on computer they could send me i will pay small price for it and valid id. Cant get any free version online as not student anymore but loved using in college for simplicity

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
does anybody out there know of a good single speed freewheel that will fit the front freewheel adaptor that sbp sell. i am planning a custom jackshaft for this project with separate pedals in front and midwway a bottom bracket they sell the 206mm wide crank axle in cartridge so wont need too big a sprocket max id say 30 teeth if they come in that size?

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
Hi irish again updating. I hope somebody out there could give me some help with gearingand jackshaft width needed i now plan to do a conventional keyed shaft jackshaft. My plan is to use a 4 inch wide 20 inch rear wheel off chopper us and 7 speed freewheel i know they dont provide that big freewheel but can change from the one i will order i was planning on using lifan 50cc atv engine 3/4 speed max 60 mph in top gear could someone with experience shim in.also need hill climbing to be reasonably good

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
hey everyone I know its been a while so thought I would update I have a rough idea of measurements of all vital parts of frame and sourced most what I need but undecided on forks either modified regular bike shocks or motorbike forks may go with motorbike forks so can use matching neck with vin stamped to make it road legal in case of law troubles. still not finished on working out gearing and will not be built for long time due to finances. good news is I start a college course 2moro so may be able to get student version of cad programs to make drawings and 3d model of frame and associated parts to help in final design dimensions.

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
hi guys I know it been a while since last posted about this project but I finally got access to CAD software to do 3D drawings, I have the swingarm done just need to add pivot point. I would post picture only on wrong computer but will put up soon, see if any body can figure my suspension design for the crack, will tell who's right or not.

zippinaround

Aug 10, 2013
Ireland
if i had a €150 to spare i'd definitely make an offer on that chopper would be cool to motorise! don't really see many of them around.