New to motorized bicycling and I have some questions.

GoldenMotor.com

fj95

Apr 7, 2013
Michigan
As my title says I am new to this and it is an idea I have been kicking around for some time now. I will cut to the chase if I wanted to take a small engine from some thing what would the minimum size need to be or what would a good engine to look for be? Additionally it doesn't seem like any one uses the bikes original sprockets and chain is that just a misunderstanding on my part or is there a reason for this? and finally what kind of budget is typical and how long do most of these projects take? sorry for all the questions but my interest is peeked thanks in advance for your time and responses.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Use the search bar at the top of the page, and you'll find all kinds of information about alternate motors people have used besides kit motors.

Use of the bike's own sprockets and chain will depend on the motor you go with, and if it's drive goes the same direction as you want to go once the motor is mounted.

fj95

Apr 7, 2013
Michigan
after researching deeper here i have a better idea of what i want but some unanswered questions. a "kit" motor doesn't seem like a bad option I would want a pull start and delete the pedals and using the shifting capabilities of the original drive chain so my question now would be do any kits allow this? If not I would get an engine what would it take to have a pull start and whatnot in regards to the required clutch and jack shaft? could the main hub (what ever the bearing housing the peddles go through) be made to serve as a jack shaft of sorts to get the drive gears on the right side spinning correctly if I had a CCW engine?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You can use a jackshaft kit from sick bike parts to power your rear wheel via your bike chain and gears. However, I am not sure that you can use a pull start with the jackshaft kit.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The absolute cheapest way to get started in motorized bicycling is to buy a 2-stroke bicycle engine kit; then when you get good at it, you can step up to aftermarket parts or different (& bigger) style engines.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
...I would want a pull start and delete the pedals and using the shifting capabilities of the original drive chain so my question now would be do any kits allow this?
First off I would tell you to be cautious with the "delete the pedals" idea, under most state laws this would make a motorized bicycle illegal, as the laws that allow you to ride a motorized bicycle generally apply to "motor assisted bicycles". Basically this means you need to be able to pedal them to be legal. Not sure what the laws are in your state, but I advise that you look into that before you build, cause you don't want to build a bike that you can't ride without being hassled... Secondly, where would you put your feet?
On the drive chain, like others have said, you can get a jack shaft that will connect your motor to your pedal sprocket and use your bicycle chain (and gears) instead of using a second chain on the other side. You can still pedal with this setup.....