custom 2 stroke headlight set up

GoldenMotor.com

darkangel

Jul 26, 2012
louisiana
hello,im building a schwinn cruiser 2 stoke bike and looking for a schematic or diagram for the lighting running a 12v 9.5ah rechargeable battery and a ct-70 throttle assemble with full light fuction on the controls.dnut

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good morning, darkangle. Sorry I couldn't put this in my PM to you.

Here's the diagram you sent to me. I've cleaned it up, removing extraneous wiring and devices that you won't need. It's very simple, just like that basic diagram I originally provided but using the ignition switch you have. When you get those directional lights, and hopefully they will come with their own diagram, let me know and we'll go from there.
Your original diagram was for a 6volt system but that doesn't change anything. It's still a simple DC circuit, voltage doesn't matter.

Your head light will have three wires. One is the ground, the other two are the high and low beam. You'll need to select one, either high or low and wire it as per the diagram. Insulate the other or cut it off. It won't be used. I'd select the high beam for the brightest light but it will also draw more power from your battery.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Attachments

darkangel

Jul 26, 2012
louisiana
hello dan,yes i did look at the forums for headlights,but im doing something more i have a harley davidson 35w headlight blinkers and tail light and horn and im running a power wheels 12v 9.5ah rechargeable battery to give me a direct source of power,im mainly trying to avoid using the white wire on the 2 stroke motor as a power source..once i have everything welded up and installed i will post some pictures of the out come,actually just finished installing my sick bike parts expansion chamber,have disc brakes new rims new seat new carb air filter,chains cranks alloy throttle grips and flame side view mirrors on their way...tuesday they will be here and ima have a blast putting it all together..just did a custom paint job on the motor went black and ford red and kept that color scheme throughout the bike,tomorrow i will be doing some red pin stripping on the bike then just need to find some nice skull decals to give it a nice touch that fits me,but im also running a chopper front fork and using the ct-70 throttle assembly to have light control at my finger tips...atm my bike runs at 40mph now that was before the expansion chamber and the new speed carb so we shall see when im done over hauling this thing.i want to thank everyone who took the time to assist me in my noobish questions...dnut

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ah, cool DA.

Never have to worry about "noobish questions" Great bunch of men and woman here who are happy to help and challenge.

Also, never worry about starting a thread if you can't find some thing. All good. For an electrical/lighting question, posting in that section will yeld much better results for you. Some very gifted folks who read that section regularly who might not be as apt to frequent the introduction section.

Looking forward to seeing your work and best of luck.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I suspect the horn is drawing more amps than the size fuse you're using. Horns can be a big power hog. That's why they use relays to power them; so the horn button contacts don't weld closed. You'd need a DC ammeter to check the power draw from the horn. Wire it in series with the horn, jumper the fuse and press the horn button. Take what value the meter reads as the horn sounds then multiply that value times 125%. That will be the required fuse size.
Example: Horn draws 7 amps. Multiplied by 125% = 8.75 amp fuse.
Sent you a PM with some details, darkangle.

Tom

darkangel

Jul 26, 2012
louisiana
ok its been a few days since ive been able to log in and let yall know the progress so here it goes,i have everything running besides the horn no matter what it blows the light fuse,so i went without it and upgraded my positive fuse to 15a and seems to be working much better,being able to have the choice of high beam and low beam is a plus and i really wanted to have the horn just to honk at random people for fun,but im getting close to being finished on this bike everything seems to be running good just have to finish up the back rack the battery box and the battery mount and the new pedal crank,disc brakes are giving me a little trouble but i think i can manage that with no issues,so hopefully tomorrow ill finish the rack anf mounts so i can paint them and pin stripe them as well to make it all match the rest of this creation lol,once again i wanna thank everyone who has helped me during this process and its greatly appreciatedbrnot