Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles

Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles Forum announcements and instructions for posting on motorbicycling.com. To start a new thread choose the appropriate area. No new threads can be started in this area

Old 12-11-2014, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Reasons for riding Motorized Bicycle

been to warren dunes many times; lets plan something, i would love it. i have still after all these years never had the opportunity to ride with another motorized bicycle. I had to leave my bikes on the island but ordering another magic pie kit with the new led display today so i will be ready
paul
Old 12-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Sounds great Paul. A Lake Michigan cruise next spring or summer sounds excellent. Get that new bike put together and later this winter we can start figuring out what would be a good date this next spring or summer and also figure out a good cruise route to ride. Maybe round up a few more riders as well? The only thing I will have to check on is to see what the Michigan Laws say regarding motorized bicycles? Want to make sure we don't get thrown in the clink for riding outlaw while I am there.LOL
Old 12-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
i just moved back to south west Michigan and i have to say i really miss my electric bicycle

I think I'd have to say, "Man, I really miss the islands..........and my bike...."
Old 12-13-2014, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Don't miss the islands. an island 29 miles long and 9 miles wide after 7 years you been every where many times, islands are a place to visit to me not to live year round. i am getting ready to build a new motorized bicycle and looking forward to riding here this spring
Old 12-13-2014, 05:53 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

fun...and ability to learn to repair and maintance..
Old 12-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Staff

Welcome home, Paul!

No place like home......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 01-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Multiple reasons .. more than i can fully comment on, really.

#1 - I'm a motor-head, pure and simple. 2 or 3 wheels .. love tinkering with them. 4 wheels? Meh, that is for getting me to work and back so that i can continue to afford toys, so the dealership takes care of that.

#2 - My first love is for motorcycles in general, vintage or modern - higher powered and off-beat design (own customizing), the better. I still have my last street ride in storage, but reason #4 for MAB's, has taken care of that for now.

#3 - Always liked small displacement motorcycles. My first street licence-able ride in the mid-80's was a Honda C65 Cub, two years older than i was. My garage currently holds several Honda small displacement motorcycles - an early 80's C70 Passport, and a well-modded and over-engined mid-70's CT70 Mini-trail. I had put together a McGyver'ed motor-bicycle in the early-90's from a trashed/well-trashed Bianchi Aquilito, and i was hooked then.

#4 - Health. I can't really pedal a bicycle all that well anymore with double hip-replacements that didn't go as planned with recovery, going a few years back now. Other health issues mean that i don't have the stamina to venture out on a bicycle under my own power. For myself, 'motor assist' means just that. I don't really need to go warp-speed on a motorized bicycle - I just need to be able to enjoy the scenery going by, rather than suffering through it in pedaling through, in less than straight and level conditions.

#5 - A relatively cheap mechanical hobby - can't get much cheaper in spinning wrenches and flinging metal shavings in the garage, on the hobby level. I enjoy the relatively mindless activity of wrenching, as much as i do riding what results in 'project time'.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:08 PM

I grew up kinda poor and kept an eye on the local trash dumpsters I could ride a bike to, one of the too few kindnesses my stepfather did was make a trailer for my bicycle. So I brought a lot of scrap stuff home including discarded bikes. Eventually I had quite the bicycle junkyard and was the neghborhood bike mechanic. If only my stepfather would have allowed me access to his welder and other tools.

Then I turned 14, got my drivers license, started working and left home when I turned 16, turned into a real mechanic. Legally emancipated at 16 and married young it was game on and lots of mistakes.

Now at 50 I have cancer that has got into my lungs, odds say I have a couple years at best to live. But luckily I had the foresight to build a little shop in the garage over the last few years. So I have something to piddle away at, something that will give me freedom and a way to smell the roses that I used to roar by.

Otherwise i'd have nothing to do besides sit in front of the TV and wait on the grim reaper. I love tinkering and making mechanical stuff, these MB's may actually extend my life.

Last edited by Chainreaction; 01-02-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 AM

Wow, bummer about the hips & lungs. No idea what drugs they've got you on,
but there's a fairly inexpensive herbal tea might give you some time,Chain,
if your doctor will clear it with what your taking. If Hack's not on Wafrin, it could
help him too. It's called Jaiogulan and good for the immune system, BP, & cardio.
Doesn't taste too bad. I've grown to like it. It also balances metabolism. My
circulatory system is so much better. In that respect, it's also good for type 2
diabetes.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I always wanted a motorcycle but like many others guys I passed on the idea for family, money and life insurance! When I found out this past year about these MAB's and the inexpensive entry fees, a motor and a bike, I was hooked. I have 400 hours on my first bike which I built ground up and 40 hours on the new one which is a Phantom Ghost 26 which I bought already assembled, but what a great bike! I spent a couple years building an airplane which was quite enjoyable and lot more money, but dollar for dollar the bike is a blast! It is a great hobby, lots of satisfaction and just the right amount of tinkering! Here is a link on YouTube to my twins! https://www.youtube.com/user/JimConHam/videos ! Thanks again for your history and best wishes for a Happier New Year!

Tags
bicycle, commuting, speed enhancing