Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles

Welcome to the World of Motorized Bicycles Forum announcements and instructions for posting on motorbicycling.com. To start a new thread choose the appropriate area. No new threads can be started in this area

Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Reasons for riding Motorized Bicycle

My reasons for riding motorized bicycles are:

1. My left knee and foot aren't so great anymore.

2. I recently re-discovered that I like working on, modifying, and building (or should I say "piecing together") bicycles.

3. Gas motorized bicycles offer extremely high fuel economy. I'll also mention my (36v 450watt 10AH battery) electric bicycle that costs me a cent (or less) a mile to operate (range is about 20 miles per charge). Meanwhile, petroleum fueled vehicles cost about an average of 0.15 cents a mile to operate.

4. Then there's this post (from miked826) that I can sadly relate too when it comes to commuting in large metro areas:

"I took a Santa Monica bus to a LA Metro Bus to go home today. Distance traveled was 8.4 miles. Elapsed time was 2.5 hours total, having to wait for the buses, plus the total # of stops. I think I could have actually walked home faster, if I wasn't so over walking anywhere. LOL".

Yep, I'm done with sitting in traffic in my truck, or waiting for and then sitting in traffic on a public transit bus (my BART/bus commute was almost as bad as MikeD's in Santa Monica). Man, was I glad to get out of the Bay Area.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Administrator

man that is crazy. that's why I moved to an island. I grew up in the dc area and same way trying to get to work on the beltway.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:48 PM

Talking Re: Reasons for riding Motorized Bicycle

I'm always complaining to myself that my bike ONLY goes 40 MPH. I don't really complain to myself anymore.... after that bus ride I took. Now I know why most everyone was sleeping on the bus when I got on. LOL
Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked826 View Post
I'm always complaining to myself that my bike ONLY goes 40 MPH. I don't really complain to myself anymore.... after that bus ride I took. Now I know why most everyone was sleeping on the bus when I got on. LOL
only 40!!?? thats enough to blow your wig back .....if its not pasted on right LOL thats probably about top speed in a car on the 405 freeway.

Last edited by kdaddy1980; 10-04-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:19 PM

Mine only goes 29, on flat ground, wound up, with no head wind, but I can only pedal the bike about 12mph without the motor, so that is at least twice as fast as I can pedal it and more than 8 times as fast as I walk. :-) motor assisted bicycle riding is awesome.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Well I'm new to these bikes so don't know if I will like but I like to ride but limited to certain roads because of hills so I think I will like the motor on the bike to help out on the hills hope it pulls me I am 220 lbs can you pedal with the motor running if it needs help just have some questions thanks guys.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:04 PM

Talking Re: Reasons for riding Motorized Bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaddy1980 View Post
only 40!!?? thats enough to blow your wig back .....if its not pasted on right LOL thats probably about top speed in a car on the 405 freeway.
I have no doubt that 40mph is faster than the average speed on the 405 at almost any given hour of the day. That's the irony in all this. I can't legally ride on the 405. There are times of the day, on a few major streets where "Wide Open Throttle" 40 is just a bit too slow for comfort. I need to be able to cruise at 45 mph with a little power in reserve. Which is why I'm making the jump to a 97cc Lifan motor. I'm gonna reduce the overall gear ratio a bit as well to try to accomplish that feat.

This is what "40" looks like on Venice Blvd. in some traffic, on the weekend. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-559UeQzyos

Last edited by miked826; 10-08-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalslow View Post
Well I'm new to these bikes so don't know if I will like but I like to ride but limited to certain roads because of hills so I think I will like the motor on the bike to help out on the hills hope it pulls me I am 220 lbs can you pedal with the motor running if it needs help just have some questions thanks guys.

Sure, you can certainly pedal to help the engine --- in fact, many suggest it in certain circumstances such as going up steep hills. With that being said, I've never had to 'help' my bike up a hill.

Good luck in your new adventures!!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:54 PM

PedalSlow, there are a lot of options for motorized bicycling. You've come to the right place. Depending on what you use (what style drive system and engine) you may have to cooperate with the motor. Going with lower gears for the pedal system, and a lower gear ratio (or smaller drive roller) for the engine system will help a lot. Just figure out the maximum speed you "need" to go, and work from there.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Ok cool that makes plenty of sense I really only have two bad hills we I live just one of the many questions I have.

Tags
bicycle, commuting, speed enhancing