Welcome to the Dark Side!!

GoldenMotor.com

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
People thought I had gone to the dark side when I swapped my HT for a chainsaw engine. Well, now I've really gone over the cliff. I was messing around the other day and a guy offered me a Sachs Prima G3 goped for a "song". You might call it a "barn find" ( term is grossly overused to sell a rust covered piece of junk) since it had been sitting in a shed for several years. My wife nearly puked when she saw it in the back of the SUV leaking tranny fluid on the beige carpet. The good news is the bike is nearly all there, the bad news is it needs a lot of work. Anyway,,I've been restoring this baby for several days now and am darned impressed with the quality of the parts. Sachs is German so you would expect good stuff, but these things are built just like motorcycles. There is a problem, though. I can't seem to get the thing done because I keep finding myself gravitating back to my MBs to ride or to tweek this or tweek that. Is the grass really greener or is my eyesight just getting bad? I'll let you know when I get the ped up and runnng. I will tell you this though. I have joined the Ped forums for help and it's a totally different world over there (is it really the Dark Side or am I blinded by my attachment to MBs)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looks like a fun project, scoot. Never worry about changing sides. You'll still enjoy your bikes even with that 'new kid' in the shop. Let us know when you get it running.

Tom

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks, Chainmaker, Happy and 2-Door. The Ped is now a bare frame, two boxes of parts, and a motor!! Today I rebuilt the wheels, cleaned them up, cleaned and repacked the bearings and lubed the brake pivots. I also cleaned up the frame and swingarm. I'm thinking I'll keep the frame the way it is instead of re-painting. It has a few dings, but overall the paint is nice. My next step is to pick out tires to come up with a rolling chassis. I was going to install Michilin Gazelles, but some folks think they are too heavy and cost MPH. Next I'll clean the gas tank with bbs and marbles to clear out rust. Then I'll tackle the motor. The cool thing about the way these things are made, the transmission gears and bearings float in gear lube. The second cool thing is there are several upgrade kits for the top end. I'm getting psyched just writing about it. Time to move to the garage, Later.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I like the bike, but I believe that would be called a moped, not a goped. A goped is a small scooter with a high seat and floorboards to rest your feet on.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
You're right, Butterbean. I don't know if I mispelled the word or just picked the wrong one! By the way, most people think my motorized bicycles are mopeds. Anyway, I'm glad you like the bike, I'll keep everyone posted as it comes back to life. In the meantime, it's 55 degrees out and I'm going for a ride on my old reliable motorized bicycle!!

Meano

Nov 5, 2011
Baytown Tx
It rides and corners better with car tire than motorcycle tire. I will never run another motorcycle tire on the back only the Dark Side for me.

Meano

Nov 5, 2011
Baytown Tx
I was only get 3k on rear motorcycle tire 2 tires first year I had bike $250 each. High Pro car tire under $100 three years on it so for.