Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Exclamation headlight for chopper

hey my chopper has a crappy headlight and i wanted a bigger one that i could connect up to the magneto and wasnt sure how it would work and if it would work well i was thinking a fairly large one , any ideas?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: headlight for chopper

It would help to know what engine you have but if it's a Chinese 2 stroke, you don't have many options.

As long as the lamp doesn't draw more than about 2.5 watts. That's all you'll get from the white wire/magneto, and it won't be much light. If the lamp draws more it will kill the ignition and your engine won't run.

I'd suggest mounting a SLA (sealed lead acid) battery, something around 5 to 7 AH (amp hour) and 12 volt to run your light. Recharge the battery after an evening ride.

I carry a 7.5 AH battery and I have a 55 watt sealed beam headlight. I can get a full hour of good illumination. I also have two bikes with 35 watt headlights. I can ride for close to two hours before the light starts to dim. Two hours is a lot of riding, especially at night.

Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"

Last edited by 2door; 01-29-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: headlight for chopper

whizzer usa has whizzer ambassador headlights that are really sharp looking.......providing your bike has power and battery I dont see why you couldnt use one.