Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Thread Locking Compounds aka LocTite

Originally Posted by bigbutterbean View Post
I live in PA. I thought about removing the choke lever, but two thoughts occurred to me. The first thought was that it would throw off the air/fuel ratio because more air would get in through the hole. However, I thought to myself to solve this dilemma by removing the choke itself, but leaving the rest of the assembly intact. As to the wearing a layer of metal away after repeated use, it is a sound theory. However, I dont think it applies to me, because I hardly ever use my choke. Even in the middle of winter, I just keep pedaling while trying to start until the engine warms up enough to run on its own. But the second thought that occurred to me was, what if I might need the choke one day? I would rather have it there and not need it, than need it and not have it. So, I loctite it and leave it alone unless I need it.
Taking the choke off won't allow more air in, unless yer counting that itty bitty hole the choke screw goes through. (liquid steel). But your right about one thing fer sher, Ya can't use what ya don't have. In a pinch I've used a twist tie to hold it down. It really sucks to have yer choke come on at 35mph. Makes ya think something just went wrong with yer engine.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 PM

A little trick i use on nuts that I don,t want to come loose , and when i don,t want to use locktight or a double nut .

get a ball bearing just a bit bigger than the thread in the nut . put the ball bearing in one side of the nut ( a center punch works good too ) , and give it a little wack with a hammer , and peen the last thread a little bit . when putting it together , put the good end of the thread on first .

Not a good idea , if you have to wind the nut over a lot of thread lenght .

Not a good idea on soft stainless bolts , or crappy galvanized bolts that break easy .
Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM

In an emergency to get me through the week until I can find a replacement, I used Loctite on an axel nut for my rear wheel. I could just leave it there, but the threads are stripped, so It will have to go.
When I get mad, I roll around on the floor next to my motorbike, slamming my fists into the floor, and I yell at the top of my lungs: @#☆ #@! @☆C ?$! ☆!@
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 PM

I think I may remove my choke lever also or red loctite it.
All you have to do is cover the intake holes on the air cleaner with your hand too get the same choking effect.I do it all the time on my old weed eater thats missing the choke lever
Ghost pedaling in NJ....