Motorized bicycle pre-speed run maintenance

GoldenMotor.com

Das Chicken

Mar 22, 2012
Georgia
I plan to make a top speed run tomorrow, what kind of maintenance should i do to ensure my bike doesn't fall apart on me? I have a 48/49cc HT with a SBP shift kit hooked (7 speed) up to a specialized rockhopper. Any suggestions for wheel-bearing maintenance? I'm pretty sure bicycle wheels aren't designed for the low 40s i hope to reach.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
New bike? Old Bike? Wheel bearings are important as well as brakes and other parts.
If it is a new bike we always suggest going through and repacking wheel and pedal crank bearings. The factories seem to be a little stingy with lube in those areas. It goes without saying that if the bike is an older one that you need to disassemble and inspect those same bearings and repack with a quality lubricant.
Brakes? That's a no brainer. Make sure they work and work well.

Good luck but don't be dissappointed if that magic 40 doesn't happen. Keep in mind it's a bicycle, not a motorcycle. 25 to 30 is a good safe speed for a street driven bike.

Tom

Das Chicken

Mar 22, 2012
Georgia
New bike? Old Bike? Wheel bearings are important as well as brakes and other parts.
If it is a new bike we always suggest going through and repacking wheel and pedal crank bearings. The factories seem to be a little stingy with lube in those areas. It goes without saying that if the bike is an older one that you need to disassemble and inspect those same bearings and repack with a quality lubricant.
Brakes? That's a no brainer. Make sure they work and work well.

Good luck but don't be dissappointed if that magic 40 doesn't happen. Keep in mind it's a bicycle, not a motorcycle. 25 to 30 is a good safe speed for a street driven bike.

Tom
The bike is from the early 90's, so i'd call that pretty old. I'll repack the front wheel bearings, since those are the only ones i know how to reach. Since this bike has a SBP shift kit, the crank bearings don't matter, because i can't pedal assist when the engine is revving high. However, the crank got new bearings when i had to use a crank adapter kit for the shift kit. The brakes work well, so i'm not worried about that. I'll post a video of the speed run when i get it.

Last edited:

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
I can hit just shy of 40mph (38) with stock everything on a 66/80cc no shift kit... the cap on my exhaust is gone sure.. but I wouldnt think that would make much diffrence.