Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: how comfortable is your bike?

Originally Posted by bairdco View Post
pay the extra cash and buy a brooks saddle. you can find good used ones online. i've got the B66S and the B77 on different bikes and can ride all day with absolutely no discomfort. and you get an old timey motorcycle look with the aged leather.

my wrists, on the other hand(s.)

i've crashed on my skateboard too many times. i don't wanna call it arthritis, because once you start believing you're old, you get older quick. but after long rides, my fingers don't work too well.

after a day of racing, it's hard to hold a beer and a cigarette. until about the 6th beer. then i'm ok...
I think Bairdco here nailed it. I don't have a Brooks, but my leather saddle wasn't cheap. It's way more comfy than I would have given it credit for, being that it has no padding. I gotta say: my butt NEVER hurts. And if I know I'll be riding for a while, I wear my biking gloves.
No saddle sores. No numb hands. Just pure riding satisfaction.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 08-28-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

thanks for all the replies i never would of thought to try a brooks

Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

There are some statistics on the consequences of aggressive seat-posture on male, er, function... so I have a wide, cushy gel-foam and spring-cushioned saddle on my bike that supports me with my butt, not my mons pubis. I'm not taking any risks in that department, some things are too important =) It's not just about comfort for me. =)
Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I second leather. Gyes is about 50% of Brooks.

Doesn't look comfy, but my butt likes it.
Bigger is not always better.A couple of my favorites have been a vintage long spring saddle and a wide 12" x 13".Both were troxel saddles that gave a comfy ride.Then I purchased a much smaller leather Gyes saddle that fits like a glove.....and it's not even broke in!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 02:37 AM

Fits - like - a - glove? I don't know what you've got down there, but you must be very popular with the ladies.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

You can reduce vibrations in the bars by filling them with sand, shot or something similar. Makes a HUGE difference...A good source of cheap comfy seats is from exercise or stationary style bikes, and also from small, electric scooters. You see them all over the place down here in Memphis. Kids tear them up fast and they are to cheap to bother fixing.

Last edited by maniac57; 08-27-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-27-2012, 11:26 PM

I have a suspension fork and a Schwinn comfort seat that I loosened the springs as much as possible on. Its fairly comfortable, about as comfortable as it will ever get.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:25 AM
Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Wink Re: how comfortable is your bike?

When I'm racing and the bike is running strong, it's like riding on a cloud.......all the way to the finish line It's always comfy in the winners circle
EZ Motorbike Dealer - San Diego, CA.
Nothing is out of my realm,
if it doesn't fit, make it fit! Beer is the answer....what was the question?
A sense of humor costs nothing, why don't people use them more often?
"You can't buy have to earn it"
Old 08-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Don't longer handlebars reduce vibration?

That sand in the handlebars solution sound good too
Old 08-31-2012, 04:23 PM

In the last 2 years I've changed my bike from a torture rack, into a very comfortable ride. The night before last I rode it over 40 miles in one sitting like it was nothing. This is how I did it.

Here's before, and after views to help explain the changes.

Get rid of rigid forks. I've tried rigid, cheapy suspension forks, and springers. The springers are by far the most comfortable.

2", and wider tires are best

A low seat height is important. I got my seat height so low that when sitting with both feet flat on the ground, I have to bend my knees. This was achieved not only by lowering the seat all the way down, but also installing bent fork springers, which lower the front of your bike 3". For motorized bicycles that are only going to be street ridden, most bicycles are too tall.

A spring seat is better than a gel seat without springs, for long rides, but you may not think so at first. Give it about 10 or 20 miles, before you decide. My seat is a very inexpensive, walmart spring seat, common on many MBs.

Change your handle bars. It's essential to have comfortable handle bars. Exactly what's comfortable is going to be different for everybody. I don't like leaning on my wrists, so I like tall bars that allow me to ride sitting up doggie style. Soft grips are nice too, especially the kind with broad flat surfaces for your palms.

The best way to control vibration is to lower rpm. You can't expect not to have a ton of vibration if you're cruising at 7000+ rpm. Gear your bike to cruise at no more than 6000 rpm. 5800 is even better. My bike is geared such that 5800 is equal to 30 mph. This gives me enough reserve, to go 35 mph for short bursts if I feel the need, because of traffic situations. For extremely long rides I might cruise at 26 mph. That works out to about 5000 rpm. Right in the torque sweet spot of a stock motor. That's where you'll get the best gas mileage, and throttle response, and vibration is almost nonexistent.

One last thing I reccomend is good brakes. It's hard to be truely comfortable if you're always worried about getting run over.

As far as comfort is concerned, I give my bike a 10 out of 10.

Last edited by biknut; 08-31-2012 at 04:35 PM.