Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Tavern > Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles

Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles Share you knowledge of the laws in your state in this forum. Remember to always verify everything yourself with your dmv

Oregon laws?? got busted by cops

Share you knowledge of the laws in your state in this forum. Remember to always verify everything yourself with your dmv

Old 10-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Angry Oregon laws?? got busted by cops

anyone know? got pulled over by a motorcycle cop on the way to work today. first of all, she didnt know what I had and had to ask. she said I was going 34 in the bike lane. (I dont think it was that fast but whatever the cops say, flies). anyhow, she said I could only ride in the bike lane if the bike was "human powered" and motor isnt on. she also said the only way to ride it was to get it registered, and the DMV wont register it for various reasons. The best part was that she told me that I "should have researched the law before wasting my time and money building it." nice thing to tell someone. I wonder about all those kids on their gas powered scooters and mini bikes that dont seem to ever get busted, or how come those bikes with the electric engines seem exempt from the same issues. does anyone know where I can find accurate information? thank you for any advice
Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: Oregon laws?? got busted by cops

Did you actually get a ticket? If so what was the charge listed on the ticket ?
Oregon is a backward state and the laws have not kept up with the times.
I know I have lived here all my life.
The Following User Says Thank You to sissonscott For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Oregon DMV Fact Sheet for Mini-Motorbikes/Scooters

Given the fact that I think a motor assist bicycle fits in to the Mini Motorbike category as it is capable of human propulsion.

So you were doing about 10 mph over and not sure what your motor size is cc wise but if it is a HT it is illegal in OR. I figure you can get by with a 4 cycle Honda or Subaru Robin down there at best legally and the Robin is a half a cc oversize even. But it doesn't say anything about any type of registration as per:

Mopeds must be titled and registered, but Oregon law specifically exempts motor-assisted scooters, electric assisted bicycles, and personal mobility devices from title and registration requirements.

Last edited by mabman; 10-22-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

the speed on that road is 45 so I dont think that is the problem. I had been driving down the bike lane and only sped up in order to evade the I-5 onramp and not get hit by anyone. I was going slow and in the bike lane when she got me. told the cop it was a 40cc. Didnt get a ticket, just a warning that it was illegal\ dont drive it again and that I wasted my money.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist

Talking Re: Oregon laws?? got busted by cops

I think she likes you... Try getting caught again and ask her out for a date.

It just shows you that she had'nt ridden a motorized bicycle before. All my friends who tried my motorized bicycle were quickly addicted.

Caution: This hobby is habit forming.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:07 AM

While your version of this is fine with me I am just pointing out what is on the books down there. Regardless of what the speed limit is posted on the road you are on 24 mph is the top speed the regs allow. You told her 40cc, next time you had better say 33cc perhaps and print out a copy of the law and carry it with you?

There is plenty of room for motor assisted bikes under the OR statutes the way I see it. You just have to play the game their way. Not such a bad thing because it does not totally exclude motor assist and the technology is there to fit within. Just not using the chinese 2 strokes. Legally. Or going faster than 24 mph. Legally. Otherwise be prepared to go the mo-ped route which means you had better just go and get a mo-ped perhaps and you will still be saving on gas and ripping around. Legally.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

its been an exciting week. went on the back roads to school this morning. its about a 25 mile trip one way from my house. 4 state troopers passed me and 2 city cops. no one seemed to care. on the way home, the same motorcycle cop found me and I have a nice citation and date for court now. she explained the law and showed me the book--- the engine size and all that info didnt matter. around here, these things are illegal; period. the electric bikes are only legal if they dont exceed 1000 watts and 20mph. as of now, I dont really feel like spending more money on this thing to try the smaller motor/or electric option. Im a labeled target for the police now and dont feel like constant harrassment, fines, court time, dicking around with the DMV, and having to explain things over and over to the police. I dont have the money for an electric motor. I dont want to give it up, just have to find some other options for now.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:10 PM

What's the resistance to registering it as a moped?

I guess if you have a clutch, that would be an issue, but otherwise...
Old 10-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Thumbs down Re: Oregon laws?? got busted by cops

alright, here's the sticky: DMV will NOT register these because "the bikes have not undergone safety tests or impact resistance tests" whatever the **** that means. They said these tests can only be done when the "moped" is manufactured and has the stickers and other necessary doculments when it is purchased from a dealer. Under ORS 811.435\814.210, you can only operate a moped in the bike lane if the engine is off and strictly under human power. The police classify these as mopeds in the state of Oregon and are illegal on the road if it is not registered as such. according to our law, scooters are exempt and electric bikes as well-only if they do not exceed the specification. My question is if I put an electric motor on instead and drove down the bike lane why the law would be any different, or if I put a tiny 30cc motor on would the police still regard it as a moped. From what I can find, if its a bike the law is not clear. When the police regard it as a "moped," everything suddenly becomes illegal and in violation of some kind of law.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

2 questions:

What town ?

What was the charge on the ticket ?

Thanks