Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Looking for a good bike on a first 'true' build

I picked up an old Schwinn bike already motorized and it's been a nightmare. I've managed to get the bike stable however, and it rides wonderful after hours of tweaking and replacing cheap bolts/workmanship. Now.. I want the accomplishment of actually making my own and I'm looking around for a good base! I understand Wally bikes aren't the best around, but I'm sure I can find one that will do the job. I've got three selected, and I wan't to know which will do my the best. - They are all steel framed.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure you guys know better than I do!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Looking for a good bike on a first 'true' build

Do a search for the word "Cranbroke" and that might give you an idea. My personal preference is for a Mtn. bike style. But, I would take the money you have planned for a wally world bike and go to some local bike shops. They often have used bikes for sale and I would much rather buy a used bike from a bike shop than a wally world bike. Just my personal preference.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Default Re: Looking for a good bike on a first 'true' build

If you want to build something that has a strong frame with a reliable engine, build a Felt 4 Stroke. The cheapest Felt is a Slant. I got mine new for $270. Get a 4 stroke engine kit from PhantomBikes, a Sprocket adapter, and a billet crank.

This is my personal preference but I have one and my friend has a OLD one that he has put through **** and they last forever!
Originally Posted by Xseler View Post
Why force feed it champagne when it's perfectly happy with beer?