My motor paid for itself today

GoldenMotor.com

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
Before I bought the kit I considered if it would be worth buying the kit since money was tight. Being a gearhead and a bike enthusiast, it wasn't a very hard decision. I had ordered the Grubee 66cc skyhawk for ~$200 shipped. I compared how many weeks of commuting (based on fuel savings) it would take to pay for itself and I have finally reached that point. After 7 weeks (a little over 700 miles) of commuting I have hit the break even benchmark for the initial purchase. Now I just need it to survive another few weeks to pay for things like the replacement front drive sprocket, 36 tooth rear sprocket, new chain, replacement magneto and replacement CDI. This little engine is still spins like a top and with my automotive experience and resources, it should continue to run for some time to come. It just now feels like it is broken in. Looking back it is hard to believe I could barely go 20 mph with a 44 tooth sprocket when I can now easily hit low 30s within a few hundred feet when I'm on it with my heavy pack not trying to reduce my wind profile.

dnut

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
So nice to take the bike instead of the car. I been riding my bike to the grocery store and convinence store since I've built it. Grocery store is bout 15 miles round trip and conveinence store is bout 5 miles round trip. A tank of gas in my car never lasted so long. I barely take my car anywhere nowdays. And the bike at gallon of gas at a time in the mix can @3.36/gal isn't killing my wallet either. Rode on that same gallon all week now. Bonus is all the attention I get on the bike. Everyone in my town knows who the bike belongs to and if it does come up missing it won't be super hard to find I hope ( town is uber small).

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
When I first got my MB, my number one friend and critic, said it's just a toy. Since then I've ridden it all over town sometimes 50 miles round trip, and I usually send him pictures. I always ask him if a toy can do this? He doesn't have much to say now.

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
I use mine for commuting to class and on small fishing trips. I'm limited on places I can go because of how crazy people drive over here but it is my alternative form of transportation. Everything else I still take the truck. Partly because of safety but also because I want the truck to be running well in case I need to use it.

But it is nice to be getting literally 10x better mileage.

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
The only difficulty I have with going MB only is the grocery store. I buy milk by the gallon, beer by the case and fill the fridge with produce and meat. And I don't think my 36 tooth gear could pull my safari wagon to the grocery store and back.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
The only difficulty I have with going MB only is the grocery store. I buy milk by the gallon, beer by the case and fill the fridge with produce and meat. And I don't think my 36 tooth gear could pull my safari wagon to the grocery store and back.
I think you might be surprised. My buddy and I when we both had our motor bikes, when we were riding, if one broke down, the other would tow the broke down person. These little sure do pull stronger with a load. We were both surprised by how well it worked when one bike broke down.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
I'm planning on doing a "MB only" month soon. Basically going an entire month using only my mb for transport. For some, that's easy. For the suburbs of DC, it'll be a fun challenge!
I wish I could just ride my bike. Work would deff be a challenge. Its 60 miles from my driveway to my first stop. Then my route it 10miles total. Then 60 miles back to the house. And that's if I don't get any calls asking me to go do someone elses stores. Not to mention all the roads that ill have to travel are 60mph + in the dark. I have thought about strapping my ride to the back of the car and driving it to my first stop and then doing my route on my bike. Ill def be investing in some lights before I attempt tho \m/

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
I think you might be surprised. My buddy and I when we both had our motor bikes, when we were riding, if one broke down, the other would tow the broke down person. These little sure do pull stronger with a load. We were both surprised by how well it worked when one bike broke down.
The problem is that by the time I get the engine into the peak torque RPM, I'm well above the speed limit of the wagon. Thanks to really sloppy bearings that came in the wheels, 10 mph is about my safe maximum to pull. It was built to be stable at slow speeds on rough terrain while also being able to carry heavy weight. For the intended purpose it is amazing, not as good outside of the design parameters though.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
These bikes can be built as a money saver or a money pit. That's what I like about them. When it's really hot outside, I prefer taking the motorbike for short errands to getting in a hot, ovenish, car.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I see. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Might I recommend a Bob trailer. They have more stability and a better wheel I'd imagine. Glad the bike is working out so good for you.

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
Looks like I spoke too soon. Today I attempted to swap to the good, thicker drive sprocket that I had order my first day when I put it together and broke a tooth off. The chinese sprocket puller was a joke so I got out my smallest gear puller. It didn't work either and instead broke the aluminum portion of the housing above the sprocket.

Selling everything but the bike for $80 if anyone is interested. I'd like to make enough money to haggle for a road bike off the local Craigs list.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
comming up on 700 miles on my chopper , wifey's trike is close to 150 miles with various small repairs an adjustments on both ,I will go completely outta me head when winter hits . I am riding 1 or both bikes at least 3 to 4 times a week for any reason I can find .even if I am only going around the corner .....man have I gotten spoiled by these lil engines.

Gary